Pickling eggs

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Pickling eggs

Post by albertajune »

Has anyone pickled eggs?
OH was reminiscing on how his aunt always had eggs pickling and how pickled eggs were always on the counter years ago in pubs. On seeing a jar of eggs in a supermarket, priced at nearly £4 I got wondering how easy this process is to do. I have googled for a recipe, but most sites seem to be American and certain things are called by a different name. I'd love to have a go.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Pickling eggs

Post by Linda S »

Hi June I pickle eggs often and at the minute we have two jars in the cupboard in white vinegar, but I have also pickled them in malt vinegar. )t'

The only problem I have is although I use the oldest of our girls eggs many of them cant be peeled properly so I tend to boil more than we need and on the off chance any are whole they go in a clean jar to pickle :-D

I cant really say how long to leave them June cause our Jo has been known to eat them after only couple of days

Have a go its dead easy and much cheaper even if you have to buy the eggs )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi June I pickle eggs often and at the minute we have two jars in the cupboard in white vinegar, but I have also pickled them in malt vinegar. )t'

The only problem I have is although I use the oldest of our girls eggs many of them cant be peeled properly so I tend to boil more than we need and on the off chance any are whole they go in a clean jar to pickle :-D

I cant really say how long to leave them June cause our Jo has been known to eat them after only couple of days

Have a go its dead easy and much cheaper even if you have to buy the eggs )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks Linda for the encouragement. )t'
I assume that the eggs are put into sterilised jars and vinegar then poured in. Does the vinegar go in hot or cold and is anything added to it? I've bought a dozen free range eggs and eager to get going, maybe tomorrow.
Thanks again.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I had never tried pickled eggs, I reasoned that I like eggs and I like pickles so I should buy a jar and try some sile} OMG they were vile! It didn't help that they were soft but well packed into the jar, trying to get one out caused it to break up and the vinegar went cloudy from the yolky bits. Was I just unlucky buying a 'bad' jar or brand? Are home made ones better? All I could taste was vinegar.....
perchy

Post by perchy »

I pickle eggs and just put white vinegar in not malt, I try to use eggs that are a few days old as they do peel easier, yes sterile jars and cold eggs and vinegar, I find bought pickled eggs are very strong and somewhat rubbery. Ours too Linda don't last long, a week is enough if you like just a little pickle flavour, longer if you like the stronger taste. )t'
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Oooo just thinking about pickling some eggs. I've never had one either but want to give it a try too. I think I read somewhere fresh eggs should be 4 weeks old to guarantee they stay whole when shell removed yike* Do you think that would be ok, or would they be off by then? sile} I'd love to hear how you get on albertajune!
perchy

Post by perchy »

I suspect some supermarket eggs are 4 weeks old when we get them sile} but sile} sile} I would say a week or so for own hens eggs, works for me make sure you plunge them into icy water and cool as soon as possible, then leave for an hur and roll on a kitchen surface and they should peel easily )t'
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Good way of using an excess of eggs! We had about two dozen unused eggs at the start of the weekend but had all the kids and their partners staying, so none left now :-D
Michael