2 hens needed for new home in Surrey

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
mandafern
Learner Laner

2 hens needed for new home in Surrey

Post by mandafern »

Hi all,

Very new to the chicken world but we have a small coop and run and potential to extend eventually! We have been thinking about this for some time and are now ready to rehome 2 hens. If you live within the Surrey area and have a couple of hens (preferably layers) please let me know.

Many thanks

Steve the Gas

Re: 2 hens needed for new home in Surrey

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome )t'

There is fresh start for hens on here, they will prolly be having a rescue soon if you want ex battery hens.

I should prolly qualify that, I recently aquired 2 exbats on here from a member who had to re-home them. If you want gentle,follow you anywhere birds then these are 'em.

There are other types of hen of course,so ask away. )grin2(
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Hello, may I suggest that you consider a minimum of 3 hens. If anything happened to 1 then you are left with a very lonely one so 3 is better. If you have bought a chicken house with integrated run, the run will probably not be big enough for a sparrow let alone a chicken. Unfortunately alot of manufacturers mislead people about how many chickens you can put in the run. You need to allow a minimum 10sq ft of outside space per chicken.
fresh_start4hens
Learner Laner

Post by fresh_start4hens »

Hello,

I agree with granny on the number of hens to start off with, 3 is much better and hens are a flock bird so they like plenty of company.

Most manufactured coops state the maximum number of hens that will fit in to the roosting area of a night (coop) but not allowing for the extra space needed in the run for the day time. A lot of hen keepers extend their runs to allow for the extra room needed. Hens will be more likely to bicker and get cage rage with each other if the run is too small. It is also advisable to have two feeders and drinkers so that the hens can get a fair share.

Battery hens make perfect garden pets and are full of character, they will follow you everywhere in the hope you give them tasty treats, or they just follow you because they love you for giving them a wonderful free life. We do not guarantee they will continue to lay, but for the most, they do still lay once settled and happy, and there is nothing better than collecting your own fresh eggs.

If you would like to reserve a few hens for your garden from Fresh Start For Hens then please do visit the website www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
There is a list of operational collection points for the May 21st rehoming.

Thank you.

FSFH
ImageA Fresh Start..........
valed
Learner Laner

Post by valed »

Hi
Only just joined the site and I see that a year or two ago you were looking
for a couple of chickens, I have two which are laying, a silkie and a sussex, would
you be interested in homing them, I live in Wimbledon
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome to the site.
If you need to rehome your hens it might get a better response if you started a new thread saying 'home needed.....'. The person who started this thread hasn't been back since 2012.

Tell us about yourself (we're a nosy lot), do you have other hens.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire