will they recover?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

will they recover?

Post by Freeranger »

I grew beans & peas in trays expecting to plant them out in the garden. Things didn't happen as expected and they stayed there longer than I was hoping - they twizled around each other and their roots became tangled. Realising I wasn't going to get an outdoor space dug over for the, I transferred them into a bottle garden but they didn't like it much - after untwizling the stems they were very limp and sad, and I had to damage the roots to separate them into clumps. They went limp, some leaves died, but they are still alive but looking no better a week later. Given that they have some roots that are OK, will they recover or not, do you think? Is there anything I can do to help them?
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: will they recover?

Post by albertajune »

How tall are they? If they will stand having the top growth that looks limp removed, I would do that. It will give the roots a better chance of picking up and then making new growth.
It will mean that your crop will be later but that isn't a problem if we have a good long summer. You have got nothing to lose!

Someone may give you an expert answer. I'm just an amateur grower and this is what I would do. Good luck )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

sometimes they recover but lose that initial vigour. Personally I would try sowing some more as a back up (getting late now I know, but might just give a crop)
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Untwizzled they're about 3-4ft, but that's mostly stem. I've given them trellis and mesh to cling to but that doesn't seem to have made them feel better. But thanks for your tips, both - I'll try doing both things.

Has anyone else tried a bottle garden? I'm not getting fantastic results, but I think the plants all got a bit leggy from being brought on indoors.