Are cheaper shampoo's ..........

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Are cheaper shampoo's ..........

Post by Gwenoakes »

really as good as dearer oners?

The reason I ask is I have up till about 3 yrs ago always bought Vosene shampoo which I really liked. There were two reasons why I stopped buying it, first one, the bottles were smaller, smelt different but the price didnt go down, in fact it went up and secondly because we were trying to save money.

However, I have tried all different sorts of cheaper shampoo and never felt like my hair was really, really squeaky clean.

I went back to the Vosene the other week and the difference is quite amazing tbh.

Anyone else noticed this with shampoos or anything else?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Are cheaper shampoo's ..........

Post by lancashire lass »

I don't have fussy hair so when I tried Tesco's "value" shampoo for just 40p, I was quite surprised to find it worked perfectly fine and no problems (smelled nice too) I do however, always follow on with a conditioner and tend to stick with Pantene Repair & Protect
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Don't know about shampoo, but do notice that cheap washing up liquids are more watery than Fairy. I suppose if you are heavy handed with how much you use you save money buying the cheapy.

A few years back Fairy did a promotion telling you to see how long a bottle lasted. A friend noticed that they reduced the size of the hole, then when they stopped printing the calendar on the bottle the hole got bigger again.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I don't think it's a good idea to have really really squeaky clean hair, because then all the natural oils are stripped out of it. In fact you don't have to wash hair at all, it cleans itself eventually. I haven't tried that though. I use Mr T Value baby shampoo. Really cheap and does the job ok for me.
Ilona
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think some shampoos & conditioners work much better, but these are mostly the
salon ones. When I've had mine done by a hairdresser its far softer & shinier than
after anything I use my self at home. I was once told the ph levels are important
and ones that don't sting your eyes are the right ph for your eyes...but not for your
hair.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Moon's ago I used Washing Up Liquid !!

Since then mainly Head and Shoulders or as I mainly shower, a good Shower Gel does the trick

However, just of late I've suffered a with psoriasis (probably because of the above :-D ) and have been using Neutrogena® T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo - expensive but has done the trick (£6.99 for 250ml at Boots).

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

I came out here with Tresemme, which I have used for ages as it was often on offer and my hair felt nice. Since running out I have been using value baby shampoo which is lasting ages and my scalp has been a lot better. Unfortunately the water over here is very high in minerals so you have to get used to things not feeling clean (sounds awful!) and there tends to be silt in the shower tray...and not from me!

No idea what I will use when the baby shampoo runs out. Rather than pay a lot for familiar brands which don't suit the water I might just try a 'local' brand.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, guys.

I understand what you are saying, MQ, but hair doesnt seem to have a shine either with the cheaper ones and I am nearly white, so difficult for it to look shiney anyway. I go on another forum and some people have tried the no poo as they are calling it, just using conditioner, but not sure that is for me tbh.

Thats interesting about your skin condition, Richard because I have over the last couple of years got, well I think I have, as not been to doctors, dermatitis (sp) on/in my ears and one of the things they recommend for that is to use a medicated soap, so will see if it disappears with the Vosene as that is a medicated shampoo.

Know what you mean about the wash up liquid, Mo and have now gone back to Fairy and find although costs more it is more economical in our house.

I might just try the Tesco shampoo, LL when I have used the Vosene and I dont always use a conditioner, so maybe thats the answer.

My hairdresser always used to de-cry Vosene, but always said my hair was in lovely condition.....bit of a contradition me thinks. :?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Agree that Baby stuff is good.

You can make a really good hair / scalp tonic from Stinging Nettles. Google or Youtube how to make

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

You can make a really good hair / scalp tonic from Stinging Nettles. Google or Youtube how to make

Richard )t' )t'[/quote]

Errrr, if it smells as bad as the nettle feed, Richard, then thanks, but no thanks. {rofwl}

Am off to google now. LOL
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

I went 'poo free about 4 months ago.
Not through choice, my baby daughter is allergic to detergents, it brings her out in dreadful eczema, even my clean and dry hair was enough to set her off.
But I am pleasantly surprised, it really works, and is EXTREMELY CHEAP too, for all you frugal bods out there.
This is the regime:
Make up a solution of 1-2 tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda in 1 cup of water. Stir/shake to make sure it is even distributed (it won't dissolve).
Damp your hair first.
Then put the bicarb solution all over your hair trying to get it into the root area. I use a squeezy bottle (like the ones for ketchup). Now massage your scalp firmly and thoroughly for a few minutes with your fingertips. You will know you have done enough when your hair starts to have a smooth slippery feel to it. Rinse thoroughly.
Now you need to do a clarifying rinse, and for this I use a 50:50 vinegar and water solution in a little spray bottle. Any vinegar would probably do but after a bit of trial and error I use apple cider vinegar. It does smell rather like a chip shop at this stage. You don't need much, just spray over your hair focusing on the roots, and rub through for a minute, then rinse thoroughly.
That's it! I had my hair cut recently and my hairdresser said the condition of my hair was very good. I told her my regime and she said actually it's not a new idea, she said it's what most people used to do in the age before shampoos were widely available.

However - here's the difficult bit - when you first start, your hair will probably react terribly to it. Because you have been using detergents, your scalp is used to pumping out loads of oil to compensate for the stripping effect of even the mildest shampoos. So for me, the first 2 weeks were dreadful. My hair looked lank, felt greasy, my scalp itched. And the bicarb/vinegar regime didn't make it any better. After 2 weeks, it started to get better, it was still lank and not that great but not quite as greasy. This second phase lasted over a month. But now, I am so glad I persevered, after I wash it now, it feels just as nice and fresh, bouncy and light as it ever used to with my expensive salon shampoos.

So you need to be brave!! And maybe have some nice hats to wear! But it is so worth it for me, to see my daughter have perfect skin instead of dreadful eczema.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

WOW, Elliebear, well done that lady and what better reason to do it than for your little one. )t' )app(

Did your hair tend to be greasy when using the shampoo? Mine is not greasy at all and never has been whilst OH's is always very greasy.

Welcome to DTL as well. You will fit in lovely with ideas like that. LOL
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

I would say my hair is pretty much normal, not greasy not dry.
I used to wash it every 2-3 days with shampoo, and now wash every 3-4 days with bicarb.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Like you Gwen, I have lots of grey and the texture of my hair has changed a lot. Grey hair normally goes dryer and naturally softer which means it loses body.

Most cheap shampoos, which are diluted detergent do dry the hair and can make it too soft and fly away. Expensive ones are just that because of the name on the bottle, so best to go for middle of the road price. If Vosene suits you stay with it and be a little bit more economical with it.

I go into the shop that sells all for £1 or my local chemist, that also sells a range for the same price. Quite often they have older well known makes, likes Cussons for instance, which were at one time not considered cheap but good makes.

Most of us wash our hair too much compared to when kids when it was then once a week. I only give mine one wash, about 3 times a week, which is actually enough for the hair to be clean. I try not to apply too much heat afterwards which dries it more and swear by a tiny bit of Vitapoint rubbed between the palms and dabbed onto the hair before brushing. This instantly makes it more manageable and gives a nice shine. Again a tiny bit as it is oily if too much is used.

As and ex hair dresser I have always been very hair aware and find I'm now having to re think all that I did in the past. One of the joys of getting old. {cry}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ohhhh, hearing about the home made stuff makes me shudder! yike*

I remember as a teen the fashion then was egg and lemon shampoo, so I tried a raw egg as a conditioner. OMG it was hideous, Sort of cooked into my hair when I put hot water on. {rofwl}

Another time I tried a beer rinse and smelled like a drunk until I washed it again. {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com