If you build it, they will come ....

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
fabindia
Legendary Laner

If you build it, they will come ....

Post by fabindia »

..... as the latest RSPB advert says.

My son and I dug a wildlife pond at the weekend, and should be able to line it this coming weekend and make a start at getting it filled. I bought a cheap Kindle book about wildlife ponds and the author has some interesting ideas, along the lines of if you build it they will come. I quite understand that things like insects and frogs will find a new pool, but he says save your money and don't even buy pond plants, they will come too. To quote;

"Many ponds, natural ones, dry out either occasionally or at the end of their life and so all the plants and wildlife have become adapt over millions of years at finding new areas of water. ......... Plants will very quickly find your pond, either attached to wildlife or blown in by the wind"

Always game to experiment, so we'll fill the pond, sit back and see what happens and see if we don't end up with a stagnant, pool of water.

I'll take some photos and post them here over the months and we'll see.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: If you build it, they will come ....

Post by Mo »

Yes, We've got some reeds of some sort in OH's excavation.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Will look forward to the piccies.
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

I'll agree they do come in on their own, but only the boring and often invasive plants in my experience.

Asking somebody local what they have spare from their own pond is usually faster, free and a good source of knowledge about what works best )t'
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)