More plant advice please!

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

More plant advice please!

Post by jemberelli »

Due to having a naughty puppy who insists on digging up the lawn and eating stones, we have covered the grass in protective mesh. There are areas at the edge that are vulnerable so I decided to get some planters to cover up these places. I found some great old galvanised steel industrial boxes and was just wondering which plants would grow best in fairly shallow boxes.

One will be up against stock fencing and another across a corner of stock fencing. Do I grow shrubby type things or have height at the back and bedding plant type things at the front? I really am a complete novice when it comes to planting so any advice, tips or ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance >mmm<
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: More plant advice please!

Post by kitla »

I'd have thought alpines or succulents should work as they have quite shallow
roots (I think). Maybe some herbs too, small lettuces should do alright if you keep
them well watered. Infact a lot of container-type annuals like lobelia would
probably be fine in there if you water them regularly.
They will need some drainage holes too though.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks for taking the time to reply {hug} Great advice )t'
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I would think that almost anything that will grow in a rock garden would do nicely. I don't have the latin names for plants but have a look at dwarf pinks, campanula, sedums and even herbs such as thyme. All of the above spread and make a pretty show.

Just watch that they aren't seen as a new toy for someone to have a dig. {warn}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks June! They will inevitably get dug up but that is much preferrable to her digging up & swallowing stones! There are only so many times the vet will cut her open!