new pond

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

new pond

Post by bmpsands »

We have a pond! At the moment it is just surrounded by cobbles but we'd like to put some plants nearby. We've been offered some lillies to put in the pond but I'm thinking that we also need something like pondweed?

On day 3, bare as it is, we were visited by a frog. We'd like to encourage this so have made some hiding places at the edge of the pond. What else can we do, please?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: new pond

Post by albertajune »

Sounds a lovely idea and will attract all sorts of wild life. Out of interest, how big is the pond. Hard to give ideas without knowing. When we had a pond, we put two or three very large flattish rocks on the edge which just overhung the edge of the pond to give the water a shady area. It was surprising what made use of them, both in and out of the water. Tiny lizards loved to get under them which was nice to see as well as the frogs. We also used to get the odd slow worm which likes to hide.

I would be careful what pond weed you get as it can become a nuisance in smaller ponds and sometimes hard to get rid of.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

We had loads of frogs in our old house which was in the middle of a housing estate and a quarter of a mile away from the nearest water source (barring drains and puddles I suppose).
The frogs lived quite happily in a damp poorly drained sheltered area behind our shed.
They don't need as much water as is generally thought, they just need damp, moist little hidey holes around the garden.
But I think they may need water for breeding??
Now we have moved house to a garden with a pond there are lots of frogs but they generally seem to visit the pond rather than living there.
We recently had to move a pile of broken up bricks and concrete, sat on top of a bit of mud, and the pile was full of them!
Anyway, if you already have one frog, I would say keep your garden a bit messy at the edges (or messy all over, like mine :-D ) and in any damp little crevices they will make their home.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We have just dug a new pond. Liner should be here tomorrow so should be able to get it lined over three weekend. Will post pictures here over three next few weeks.
Michael
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Keeping the garden messy is no problem. We've found some little frogs living behind the cobbles that are holding some lawn edging in place. These are overhung by potato plants so I hope they don't mind when we harvest the spuds next week.

Our pond is a wobbly shape. I suppose at it's longest it will be about 5ft but it's never more than about 3ft wide.

We have a filter and a pump but the water is going green already.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

You will find the water goes through a process of going green when a pond is first filled ,once pond weed and some shade i.e. water lilies etc are put in then a better balance will be maintained ,don't be in a hurry to introduce fish give it a chance to build up a balance ,a few gallons of water from an established pond will speed up the process ,barley straw in an old onion sack floated on the water will also help to keep the water clear .You will find frogs and if you are lucky newts will migrate from other gardens that have ponds ,frogs don't live in water that much but don't like to be to far away from it for breeding ,and if they like yours and feel safe will make there home in your garden (watch out for them when grass cutting).I haven't had a pond for over 12 years now filled it in for safety when my grand children were small but i still have a healthy frog population .
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks so much Bill. I'm not planning on fish as there is a local heron. I've seen newts on the lane so would love to tempt them into our garden.