Sparrowhawk (Slightly gory photo)

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Sparrowhawk (Slightly gory photo)

Post by Richard »

A person I know was sitting by their Kitchen window, looked outside and saw this.

Not a great sharp photo, hurriedly got phone and took it through the glass.

It's a shame but the law of the jungle and they are beautiful birds..

[center]Image[/center]

Up until about 3 weeks ago we had two in the field behind us. I spent ages trying to get a photo, it's hard to keep up with them when they're flying and I searched high and low for where they were nesting.

Richard.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Re: Sparrowhawk (Slightly gory photo)

Post by saint-spoon »

They are truly magnificent birds Dickie, last year I saw two on the ground with a kill in a matter of weeks. I did read somewhere that they are becoming more common in towns as they have realised that more and more of us are putting up bird tables which in turn concentrate their food.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Majestic aren't they. I recall your post about that spoony, read it yesterday when I was moving all the posts, reminded me to post this.

If there are Sparrowhawks about, Bird Tables can be like a Burger King Drive Thru.

Not nice when an innocent Blue Tit is having his or her lunch but all part of a chain, plus of course at least it's nature's balance.

It's nature at work and not 'creature Human' destroying their survival habitats with diggers, concrete and insecticides!

Around here the Sparrowhawks have been concentrating on Pigeons, the edge of the field is a mass of destruction !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes beautiful birds. Nature in the raw, I am afraid.
We also have one around the Community Centre we run. He/she certainly keeps the pigeon population down. Whereas before the council shot them. So the poor pigeons are not being 'wasted' if you know what I mean.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They are very beautiful birds and like said, its nature and they have to have food to live just like every other living creature.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Had the leftover feathers of a pigeon in our garden a couple of days ago from a kill!, we have a local sparrowhawk/s and see them after the pigeons, mostly collared doves, spectacular to watch )t' , but too fast for a camera!! >shrug<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.