Ivy Killer wanted

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Ivy Killer wanted

Post by Richard »

I just cut about a five inch gap a few feet off the ground and wait for everything above it to die, then take it off.

Takes a while to die though.

I'll put a photo up tomorrow

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Difficult when the roots are in next doors garden though
)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
perchy

Post by perchy »

I agree it is good for wildlife, however it has eaten into the brickwork, gone under the eaves and on its way to the loft, now it is down it obviously housed a million slugs by the trails all up the wall )loo( It is good in the woods, that is where it should stay
WhiteWolf
Learner Laner

Post by WhiteWolf »

wendy wrote:Difficult when the roots are in next doors garden though
)t'

Same as ours, our neighbour planted it to cover her fence and make it look "preety", but now it covers everybody's fence and is a pain in the proverbial {mr.angry}

Now where did I put my loppers and machette? :-D

WW {hog}
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'

enigmatica
Learner Laner

Post by enigmatica »

Just one more post in it's defence. Go take a really good look at what it is and does. Look closely at its clinging roots for example and the arrangement of the leaves on a wall. I think you'll notice their fragility and smallness. A brick wall's biggest threat is ice. It enters tiny crevices as water, freezes and expands cracking off pieces of brick. Ivy provides protection by shedding water and keeping frost away. True, getting into the roof space is a naughty but it does show you where you're vulnerabilities are. As for harbouring pests, it also harbours the predators too. Every plant has a strategy and Ivy's is to lurk on the forest floor waiting for a sapling to become strong enough to support it. Both then grow together to the canopy in symbiosis. The tree always faster than the ivy. Sadly, Ivy is an immortal whereas the tree is not and a parting of the ways is inevitable.

In addition how is the hero ever to climb the tower to rescue the damsel if the walls are a smooth as glass....
wendy

Post by wendy »

You are doing a good job for the defence .
My problem isn't on the house. It grows between the fence and the concrete post. Thus pushing the fence panel out, in the end. Also those it didn't push out were mur.der to get out.
Sorry it really has to go, if I can get it to.

As I have said I do have Ivy in my garden and it is very pretty, but very controlled as well.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi

Yes, if supervised it can be really nice, as yours is there Wendy.

Here's a pic of mine. I only did the cutting in about April I think and it's already climbing (missed a couple of bits).

As you see, my problem is the wall, pull it too hard and half the tiles would come out.

My fault, never really got on top of it.

[center]Image[/center]
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Look on the Progreen website. I use them a lot as I have grazing land to deal with as well as normal garden type weeds. http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-killers/ ... d_580.html
Last edited by Grannyof4 on 15 Jul 2014, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
enigmatica
Learner Laner

Post by enigmatica »

I have a Virginia creeper that gets up to all manner of mischief. Every year a tendril creeps into the house and each year my wife tuts and rips it down. Last year she managed to pull quite a substantial piece of ceiling too! I have a little bet with myself to see how long it can get before she notices. It's currently at about 8 foot and has made its way down the spiral staircase into the hall.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Like a 1950's American Horror Movie enigmatica :-D :-D

I have one which has taken over the Lean-To and spread amongst a Holly Tree, under the footpath to another tree and noticed today it's going up the walls of my Office as well.

Don't mind too much, looks amazing in Autumn !

Richard
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Clematis Montana is another one for getting into the gutter, and under the roof tiles.
The books say you don't need to prune unless it is too big - but by that time it is wound all over itself and if you cut one bit you may be killing something you didn't want to.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have ivy growing in a controlled way. I put it in the ground but surrounded by a car tyre which it doesnt take long to cover. In fact the next time I do it, when we move, it will be 2 or 3 tyres high and I think it will look quite nice.

Yours looks very attractive, Wendy. )t'

Terry who is a roofer has seen soooo much damage done, not only to walls but roofs over the years because of climbing plants, so much so that he will not put anything up against the house.