Can any Horsey people help in my quest!!!...

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
silverback
Legendary Laner

Can any Horsey people help in my quest!!!...

Post by silverback »

Hi Everyone, I am planning to make my grandson Max a rocking horse, these can be purchased in kits so no problem there! )t' . However, I want to fit a western style (cowboy) saddle to it, and I am having problems getting one small enough to fit, there are options open to me but that means buying from the USA, expensive! yike* .
Just wondered if any horsey people out there know of anywhere I could try, I know its a tall order but just wanted to throw it out there! )t' .......
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Can any Horsey people help in my quest!!!...

Post by Gwenoakes »

I havent got a clue, SB other than getting a saddler to make one, but would imagine it would be expensive.

Have you thought of trying to contact people that make these rocking horses and see if they would help you? After all you have no need to tell them that you are making your own........have you? )w(
Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi SB )wav(

Are you looking for something like that?

http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/sadd ... /pony.html

Theres a few on that page, but i geuss it dpends on how much you want to spend.... But the pics might gove you some ideas )w(

Good luck )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Thanks Gwen & Sara, I am getting a quote from the rocking horse company (thanks Gwen) for a western saddle )t' , and I have bookmarked that website Sara, so gathering more options )t' .........Will keep you updated!.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Good luck )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

The rocking horse suppliers saddler can't make a western style saddle, but found this on Flea-bay!, so hoping I can clinch a bargain! )t' ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191241829204? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

That looks perfect SB. Fingers crossed it will ve winging its way to you soon >fi<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That looks brill, SB, did you get it?

Just remember, whichever saddle you get to make sure the girth (thats the bit that goes from one bottom side of saddle to other) is done up well, or poor Max could end up under the horse instead of on top. {rofwl}
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

That's a beautiful little saddle, I hope you got it.
Real saddles tend to start at 15", far too big for rocking horses sadly. They also usually have a wooden or plastic tree inside that makes them impossible to flex to rocking horse shape. To illustrate, I can ride in a 15" and I'm 5'2" and about 9 stone I guess. So if you missed out on the ebay one, search for old (very, very old) pony pads made of leather that are sold as not suitable for real pony use. They should be treeless and tiny. Sadly though, all would be English style rather than Western.

Are you buying horse hair for the mane and tail? If so, message me and I'll measure what can come off my two mares who frankly need one hell of a haircut each }hairout{
The stuff you buy in shops is taken from slaughterhouses and it's the one thing that has always put me off traditional rocking horses.
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Well I won the auction! )c( )c( I'm now the proud owner of a western saddle on it's way from the USA! )t' . Ended up paying £42 including P&P, so in the scheme of things I'm not doing too bad at the moment, my plans are coming together as this is a project I have been planning for some time )t' .
As for securing the saddle to the rocking horse Gwen, I may well pin the saddle using decorative studs around the saddle skirt, but will have to wait and see what's the best option when the saddle arrives!. I used to horse ride years ago and did so for some time, I always said to Jan that if we were fortunate enough to afford it that I would get my own quarter horse, even now at my age! >fi<
Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions, and I will PM you Hazel with regards to the mane/tail hair )t' .
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

YAY, well done, SB. I am sure Max will absolutely love it. )t'

Cannot wait to see the finished product, dont forget to )piicy( will you?
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

This is what I want to achieve as the end result, or as near to it as possible!, I do like the dapple grey, but at the end of the day the decision that counts will be made by Jan!! >shrug<
I do intend to start a thread covering from the start to the finished product, with photos along the way, but not sure where to put it!, I suppose the DIY thread would be the most appropriate......and so the journey begins! )t' .

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Who was it that posted a similar thread - the search button won't find it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That looks brill, SB.

You know what they say .............. behind every good man there is an even better woman, or some such wording. {rofwl}

I cant remember another thread similar, Mo.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Got the saddle, but its too small! }hairout{ , I can't believe I have made a right cods of it! )gr: . I could use it on a smaller rocking horse, but it would be more for baby's than toddlers! >shrug< ....... Oh well back to the drawing board.