Is Organic better?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Is Organic better?

Post by saint-spoon »

I read this interesting Article earlier, this is an ongoing debate regarding Organic versus normal vegetables and a good point is made about getting folk to eat more fruits and vegetables regardless of production methods. But it seems that organic might have something to it.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Re: Is Organic better?

Post by p.penn »

I saw that too Dave. I must admit to only buying organic milk, but have got lax on veg :oops:

I do think that organic tastes better, and if I had the money, would love one of those organic veg boxes delivered each week, just so I ate seasonally and a good variety.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

This is a hard one to answer as organic must be better but not affordable for lots of people.

We grow most of our own veg but I do buy fruit, whatever looks good and usually non organic. As for meat, there is some meat I would absolutely not buy but can't always afford organic, so again, buy British meat that has been reared and killed humanely.

I do think that organic veg and fruit is over priced. Meat I can understand as the animal has to be reared for a lot longer.

Dried foodstuff, I buy organic where possible.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

Organic whenever possible, and one of the reasons we grow as much as possible of our own.

My partner's MPhil was in pesticide and fungicide residues in food and drink, so we are horribly aware of what we are eating and drinking when it isn't organic. Pesticide residues are much higher in GM crops, too, because they are developed to withstand massive pesticide applications at a rate that would kill non-GM crops (GM crops are largely developed by Monsanto which - not by chance! - is also a producer of the world's strongest and most popular pesticides). Much as I love Doritos, I no longer eat them and never buy them for the kids, because, being an American brand, they are almost certainly made with GM corn. Children absorb lead and pesticide residues from what they ingest (e.g. lead in wheat grains) at a much higher rate than adults do, and it has a greater effect on their health and development.

In terms of flavour, organic definitely tastes much better. Carrots are particularly noticeable: there is a bitter after-taste in conventionally-grown carrots that is absent in organic carrots. I only really noticed the better taste of other organic produce after eating organic for a while and then having to eat conventionally-grown produce. For me, it was not so much that organic was noticeably nicer when I was used to conventional, as that conventional was noticeably nastier once I was used to organic. If that makes sense...
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

We used to keep giant land snails & were surprised that they refused to eat standard
supermarket salad, but would happily munch on home grown organic. (My guinea pigs
are a bit fussy that way too). Whether it was pesticides or lack of nutrition my snails
wouldn't eat what I was buying for my family! This certainly got my thinking & I try
to buy organic or local farm shop fruit & veg now
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

kitla wrote:We used to keep giant land snails & were surprised that they refused to eat standard
supermarket salad, but would happily munch on home grown organic. (My guinea pigs
are a bit fussy that way too).

yike*