Metacam for horses

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Ladylil
Learner Laner

Re: Metacam for horses

Post by Ladylil »

Hi Gwen

My 17 yr old Welsh cobxtb has pedal arthritis and side bone. She's also turned out 24/7 365 days a year (how nature intended!) She's still rideable and is perfectly sound but I know there will come a time when she'll need pain relief on a regular basis. Have you looked into/discussed with vet Danilon? It's said that it's unlikely to cause liver and stomach issues so is good for long term use and it's sugar coated so is much more palletable than bute though it is more expensive. It's a pain killed and anti inflammatory. Just a thought anyway, good luck with your boy.

Laura
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for your reply, Ladylil and welcome to DTL. )wav(

I am sure Danilon has been discussed with the vet, but if memory serves me correctly we have tried to use it before without much success. I will ask Clare though just to make sure.

He is still OK without the joint supplement at present although very early days, but we will watch, wait and see.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Gwenoakes and Linda S.
Thank you for your kind thoughts and words re our dog Candy.
Amber.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, what a blooming day so far.

We got up this morning and Clare noticed Jack was very poorly.......been out all night in the field, so brought him in and took his temp......it was 47 deg, so she shook thermometer and took it again, but it was the same. Cue to ring vet and she said to give him another dose of the Metacam which Clare did.

Approx 2 hours later she came out and his temp had gone down to 41 deg, so after examining him it was decided that his sinus have started to play up. Yellow snotty discharge from the side he had the prob with teeth and sinus before. Big intravenous antibiotic, had no choice on that one even with his ulcer history and a few hours later temp down to 38 deg.

Seriously thought he was a gonna, he laid down in stable and didnt move for ages. Anyway, long story short, he is to stay in today which got to admit he doesnt seem bothered about and ring vet this evening to give her an update.

Funnily enough he has been a bit mardy with Edna the little mare companion, so we have decided that anytime he looks/behaves any different to the norm he will get a thermometer up his rear end, as in hindsight think this has been brewing for a good few days. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isnt it?
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Poor Jack, so glad you caught him in time and got his temp down. {hug} {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Jem. Unfortunately he is not really responding well to the AB's and his temp has been up and down like a bliddy yo yo.

He still does not want to go out even when Edna his companion was out, so thats not a good sign. Usually if not allowed out he will kick 10 bags of you know what out of the stable door to follow, but not yesterday or today.

We are taking his temp every 4 hours, we do need to get it under control a.s.a.p. Please send any healing vibes you can muster everyone/anyone. Thanks.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Vibes are on the way Gwen, best of luck with Jack, fingers (and anything else) crossed {hug}
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Lots of Love and Healing Thoughts on their way to Jack and also for all of you because its awful when your much loved pet is ill please have some {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Made a mistake with his first temp I should have put 40.7 not 47.

Things not good still, the vet has been again at 7a.m. and we are giving him 24 hrs to get things under control, if we cant then...................

We have put him out, but just been to look at him and he is standing at the gate looking really miserable and poorly. Temp this morning 39.2. Clare will come back at 12 unless I ring her before and take temp again.

Because of his history of gastric ulcers we are really concerned about what is going in him, but he needs the AB's and higher doses of Metacam to keep him reasonably comfortable and try to get his temp down!!

We have talked over the weekend and have both agreed that this situation will not arise again. If we can get him over this, then when it begins to start again, which it will because of the rotten teeth poss 2 that need removing (decision already made regarding more teeth not being removed) and sinus then he will be pts.

We cannot reasonably expect him to go through anymore as his history is laminitis, rotten teeth, sinusitus, gastirc ulcers and just over the last year all his arthritis probs too which we know there will come a day when we cannot control the pain for him. But he is only bloody 14 for goodness sake and Clare has always done the very best she could for him........

All this after Lexi is really too much, it really is.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Aww Gwen, sending much love and {hug} {hug} {hug} to you all xxx
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

All I can say Gwen is that heartbreaking as it is for you and Clare you are thinking only of Jack and not allowing him to suffer.
Too many people dont care or pass an unsound or poorly horse on into a uncertain future, and we have many times said that the horses who are looked after properly and loved are often the ones who are ill.
The lucky ones have human loved ones who care for them through thier infirmities whatever the may be and do so until they know when they have had enough

. I am in tears here because having our horses and loving them as I do I know one day we will be in the same situation and I know how I will feel and I can feel you distress through your words {hug}

I will keep sending the Healing Gwen because its all I can do for you all {hug&kiss} Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Gwen
Sorry to hear Jack is not doing too well, sending you {hug} {hug} {hug} .
Amber.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thinking of you all Gwen {hug} {hug} {hug} Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

He has gone......very peacefully and is now resting in the field with Edna his companion saying her goodbyes. He will be picked up at approx 4p.m.

We have had to pull ourselves together and have sorted out a short term Falabella on loan and also contacted Bransby Home of Rest for Horses with a view to having a companion on long term loan for Edna. Application form being filled in as I write this.

Thanks very much for all your good wishes, guys. It is very much appreciated once again. {hug} {hug}
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

So sorry Gwen, you did all you could do, and going by what you were saying with all of his problems, then it was probably for the best {cry}

Big gorilla {hug} {hug} for you......
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.