Agh! SNAKE!!!!!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Agh! SNAKE!!!!!

Post by HazellB »

Tonight there's an awful lot of my friends and acquaintances with garbled, screamy messages on their phones that go something like this "Do you know anything about snakes? There's a ****ing 2 foot ****ing snake going ****ing nuts on my stable yard! AGH!!!!!" yike* yike* yike*

In the end, after I'd attempted to get out the horse's hay and put the hens to bed whilst brandishing a large broom, somebody called me back just as it appeared again and we decided it was a grass snake and I wasn't going to die )c(

It's over two feet long, very fast, just finishing it's skin shed (hence the frantic movements I guess) and NOT VERY WELCOME {mr.angry}

What would you do?
They're protected so I can't trap and move it. I certainly have no wish to harm it, but how can I go about normal life with it potentially hidden in my muck heaps, grazing, hedges, dry stone walls or fodder barn? To top it all I spent all those weeks raising baby frogs to eat the slugs and the wretched snake will gobble them down like Smarties.

My friend's closing comment when we'd identified the beast was " You should feel very privileged to have a grass snake use your land"
Well I don't feel very privileged right now! {rofwl}
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Agh! SNAKE!!!!!

Post by silverback »

I don't think there's a lot you can do!, like most wildlife if you cut off the food supply they move on! >shrug<
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Oh dear, there's me snake hunting and can't find one !!

SB's right, if he or she has nothing specific to be there for it'll move on.

But.....you never really know where they are !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

It won't do you any harm and you will rarely, if ever, see it. If it was shedding that is probably the only reason you saw it this time. I agree, you are privileged. )t'

Snakes feel vibration, they can't hear, which is why you only see them occasionally, as this one.Only when they are distracted or dozy or cold. And they eat mice as well as amphibians. Enoy being the chosen one. {rofwl}

By the way, we have a huge snake living in our wall by the back door and we never see it, only know it's there because it got caught in some chicken wire and went straight there when freed. The dogs let us know when it is in as they stick their noses in the holes. the most we ever see is a disappearing tail.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

We have grass snakes in the nature reserve where we walk the dog. Last year
we nearly trod on one that was lying across the path, when we realised that it
wasn't actually a stick - then once my friend had stopped screaming -I poked it
but it didn't move until we'd backed away. Apparently they "play dead" as
a defence. They have a lot of predators...including hedgehogs! not so scary then
Finding a moulted snakeskin was always a great trophy when I was growing up, &
would get shown to all my friends. It probably still would now.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HazellB
Longlasting Laner

Post by HazellB »

D'you know, I've come round to the idea of having snakes live on my land now and they're welcome. There's adders galore near here, though not on my patches, but larger grass snakes are apparently rare so I really am privileged :-D

Got some nice basking rocks heaped on the main yard that need carrying a few hundred yards to safe, sunny places as far away from us humans as possible and next spring I'll make sure the Belfast sinks where the frogs breed are out in the same area too.

That one seemingly aggressive evening in it's company was down to circumstance rather than snakes being threatening. )t'
@Sheldonatsov
My horrible dog's a Twit(ter)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)t'
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I've now put a couple of corrugated sheets down on the wasteland at the back.

Hoping they may find it a nice warm place in the daytime and I can lift the sheet up quick with camera at the ready !!

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome