A new plum find

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

A new plum find

Post by albertajune »

We discovered this plum just last week on a local nature reserve, only 10mins drive away. The plums are just a bit bigger than damsons and very sweet, although they look larger in the pic. These ripe ones were hanging on the outside branches while the heart of the tree is supporting masses of still light green ones.
We had a good picking which I bottled and are going back next week in the hope of getting some more. I say hoping as the tree is hanging over a large lake and on a steep bank. I'd hate to go head first in it.

OH says the only time he has seen these before was when at work, on the railway embankment. There was then only 1 tree.

It would be interesting to know what they are called. Below is a pic in case anyone can enlighten me.

I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: A new plum find

Post by fabindia »

Don't what they are June but they sure look good.

You really fell chuffed when you stumble across a find like that.
Michael
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think I have a bag of those in my fridge! They are small but very tasty but sadly I have no idea what they are as they were given to me!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

We have those in our garden - they're cherry plums/wild plums. Had a huge glut a few years ago and I made a nice jam out of them with a super-easy, multi-purpose jam recipe I found online. It was a little more tart than normal plum jam, very yummy.
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

So June is it jam making for you?
They look lovely!