Plantlife verge campaign. Check what your council is doing

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Plantlife verge campaign. Check what your council is doing

Post by fabindia »

With 97% of our meadows lost since the 1930s, our road verges could supply vital food and shelter for our declining wildlife. Unfortunately, they are being cut at the wrong times and in the wrong places. This means the wildflowers required are unable to thrive.

Check out the campaign at:
http://www.plantlife.org.uk/roadvergecampaign
Michael
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Re: Plantlife verge campaign. Check what your council is doi

Post by Scrambled »

Good to see this.

A bypass was built locally a few years ago and the wide verges on either side had masses of poppies and wildflowers sown - created a riot of colour )t'

Would you believe that the council then mowed the lot down, as soon as the flowers had just about finished - but, of course, before the seeds could set and scatter themselves }hairout{ )de: )hic( {cry}

Most people would realise that this would lead to a barren landscape - but surely to goodness the team of gardeners working at the council would definitely know what the consequence would be.

Uproar locally, as you would expect.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Scrambled wrote: - but surely to goodness the team of gardeners working at the council would definitely know what the consequence would be.

I am not sure that the guys who cut the grass and verges actually know what they are doing. These are probably the same guys who drive the snow ploughed in the winter. I certainly have little confidence in the council's environmental management skills.
Michael
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

You're probably right. Let's hope the campaign has some effect. I have just done my bit, anyway, and filled in the form which is now on it's way to the local council.

I'll also email the link to colleagues etc.

Thanks for posting it )t'

>mmm< >mmm< >mmm< >mmm<
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I signed this a couple of weeks ago, its a good campaign, I don't suppose this way
of doing things has occurred to many local councils who probably contract out the
grass cutting to the cheapest bidder.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

The way we manage the small things potentially has a big impact on the big picture. My worry is that if we can't n manage the small things how on earth can we ever address the big issues of our time such as global food shortages, destruction of the environment, over population, etc.
Michael
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

We had noticd that the verges around here hadnt been cut right back, there are lots of areas which have been allowed to grow naturally.
In some places the first foot or two are trimmed and the rest left long.
When I checked ours is one of the 7% I think it is who are taking part :-D .

My only problem is that the ragwort plants that grow everywhere are poisonous to horses over a length of time if it is ingested in enough quantity it destroys the liver.
It is one of the plants that if not controlled by the landowner they can if im not mistaken be served with a notice to clear it

If im wrong anyone please correct me )t' .
As far as I know it is the only source of food for a certain catterpillar iv forgotton what it is now. I should have gone on giggle to get my facts right.
If anyone is wondering what it looks like it is a pretty yellow flowered plant and can grow quite tall )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

I think you are right about the ragwort.
I am pretty sure our council are obliged to remove any on public land, and private landowners may have to do the same.
We don't seem to have any thank goodness, although I did have a mild panic attack over some similar looking budding plants - not quite yet in flower - in the hundreds in our field ... until my trusty field guide told me it was pineapple mayweed. Phew!! {rofwl}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

elliebear15 wrote:I think you are right about the ragwort.
I am pretty sure our council are obliged to remove any on public land, and private landowners may have to do the same.

That doesn't mean that they will, though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

No, sadly - and they haven't.
There is loads on the central reservation of the m6 a few miles away from our area.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, apologies if I overlooked it, is the danger of salt to our verges. In the winter the council 'grits' the roads. This is a misleading term. It is not grit that is strewn everywhere, but rock salt. As gardeners we all know what salt does to plants, and I believe there have been a few studies that have found salt tolerant species taking over on our verges. Not only is salt a danger to most plants, but also to soft bodied invertebrates and amphibians. Gritting is not necessary. Snow tyres or chain type ad ons, are more effective, and they could be made more readily available at the same, or less cost, than gritting.