White (like Albino!) Marrows

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Gregg in exile
Lively Laner

White (like Albino!) Marrows

Post by Gregg in exile »

Hi,

Just a quick one... my Marrows have been ace this year. I have had 12 over 30cm from 4 plants and they just keep coming.

The question is - why are the odd one totally white? I mean not a single bit of green at all? They are on the same plant and are the same size, but are just white. Any ideas?

Thanks

Gregg
Thanks,

Gregg

The keeper of: 3 Hybrids - Skyline (Green eggs), Light Sussex (Light brown), Bluebelle (Light brown)
4 Pure Breeds - Araucanas x 2 (Blue), Partridge Leghorn (White), Maran (very dark brown). All live in a giant run at the end of the garden.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: White (like Albino!) Marrows

Post by lancashire lass »

ghost marrows LOL

Unusual to be on the same plant so can't help you, but if you had said you planted seeds from the same packet and one plant produced different colour, then I might say it is either a different variety that had slipped in the packet, or there is a gene mutation (common - that's how all our garden flowers and fruit/veg are totally different from wild type) and colour is not being expressed.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You do sometimes get a pale-leaved or variegated branch on a shrub. Could it be like that?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gregg in exile
Lively Laner

Post by Gregg in exile »

How do I post an image?
Thanks,

Gregg

The keeper of: 3 Hybrids - Skyline (Green eggs), Light Sussex (Light brown), Bluebelle (Light brown)
4 Pure Breeds - Araucanas x 2 (Blue), Partridge Leghorn (White), Maran (very dark brown). All live in a giant run at the end of the garden.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gregg in exile wrote:How do I post an image?

Open a Photobucket account (very quick & easy) then upload your photos. Go to library along the top bar, hover (don't click) your mouse over the selected photo on to the tool symbol for a drop down list and click on "get links" then select "IMG codes" (this copies the link) All you do is right click your mouse in the post reply and select "paste". Submit your post as normal )t'
Gregg in exile
Lively Laner

Post by Gregg in exile »

[img]http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/GreggBarton/media/IMG_1620_zpsf4fb4359.jpg.html?filters[user]=141086004&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0[/img]
Thanks,

Gregg

Gregg in exile
Lively Laner

Post by Gregg in exile »

Thanks,

Gregg

elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Mmm they all look fab regardless of colour ... enjoy.

)ot: Totally off topic, but why are you in exile, Gregg??

Ellie x
Gregg in exile
Lively Laner

Post by Gregg in exile »

Thanks,

They have been good this year, that is only from 3 plants (and not all of them), the chickens got a couple of them (hence nibble marks) as they grew over the fence!

Gregg
Thanks,

Gregg

jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

elliebear15 wrote:Mmm they all look fab regardless of colour ... enjoy.

)ot: Totally off topic, but why are you in exile, Gregg??

Ellie x

Why has Greg not replied.. hhhmm is he living in a shed on an allotment ? {rofwl}
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Gregg in exile
Lively Laner

Post by Gregg in exile »

Haha, I missed the exile question!

I am from Cannock in the Midlands, but since the age of 18 I have lived everywhere except the Midlands although my family are there and it feels like I am in exile - especially when in the Big Smoke!
Thanks,

Gregg

elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Oh actually that's not quite as exciting as I hoped Greg ... I had visions of you doing some monitoring work in the arctic regions ... still, I do have fond memories of the Cannock truck stop, they used to do a grand chippy dinner :-D