reluctant killer

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

reluctant killer

Post by bmpsands »

Having lost almost all the sprouts and a lot of kale last year I've bought some spray.

The instructions say to spray 'at the first sign of infestation'. I've found some eggs on leaves outside of the netting. Do I spray now? OH says wait for caterpillars.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: reluctant killer

Post by lancashire lass »

Please can you give details of the spray - what is it called? There are some sprays to prevent infestation, and there are some that kill on site but the spray you have, might not do both - if you sprayed the eggs, then when they hatch out the effectiveness of the spray might be lost due to weathering. Most pesticides for fruit and veg are usually only sprayed on once,or twice at the most, during a season.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you Lancashire Lass. I'll have a look at the spray next time I'm outside. I picked veg for dinner, just now, and found a caterpillar so the question might now be academic.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

You could always not bother with the spray, check that the caterpillars are edible, and add them to your dinner. Celebrity jungle style.
Although I am not sure if I could bring myself to eat them.
Ellie x
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for that, Ellie. Found a creepy crawly in the salad last evening and it put me completely off dinner!

We consulted that garden centre about the spray and treated the brassicas last week. I find the occasional clump of yellow eggs now, but tend to rip that bit of leaf off. The problem is limited enough that I think I can keep on top of it.