Dorking Hen needs good FR home only Midlands

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Dorking Hen needs good FR home only Midlands

Post by Skeksis »

Hi all

I have recently increased my flock and travelled quite a long way to obtain new hens. All have settled in apart from June who paces up and down my fixed run like a caged lion. All the others are quite happy but she is only happy when she is free ranging. She may well settle in a larger fixed run than mine but its making her very unhappy at the moment and I will have to rehome urgently. She is 7 months old and lays very large tasty white eggs regularly but the most important thing is a loving home for her. I have given her several weeks to try to settle but it is not working and I can't give her as much time out as she needs. When pottering around the garden she is happy as Larry and bizarrely, she stays more or less in the same spot, go figure. She is lovely with other hens. Just google Dark Dorking and that is what she looks like.

I think everyone on here knows how I look after my hens. It's not about money although I paid a lot for her but I need a really good situation for her please. I would prefer a home that has experience of pure breeds and large breeds if possible as they are a little different than our little exbats.

She is not loud but is a great digger - Dorkings have huge feet and dig very very well they love foraging. Kitla, I wish you needed a friend for Ariadne {rofwl} Double yolkers not appeal? :-D She is very friendly and easy to handle with a huge red comb.

Please feel free to PM etc. I am in the Midlands area. I hope people understand that I can't just let her go to anyone but it really does need to be the right home as I don't want her having to move on again, bless her. I hope someone can help this 'little' hen. (she's actually well on her way to becoming a bruiser!). And PS I know I could take her back to the breeder but then I would have no control over her eventual home and I am already very fond of her, so that's why {hug}

Thank you for reading.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Dorking Hen needs good FR home only Midlands

Post by kitla »

Oh dear I wish I could take June for you, but my coops are full to bursting.
But if it helps I can assure anyone interested that my Ariadne (another Dorking) is a
gentle giant, she loves to freerange & forage but I don't find her destructive,
despite her size she isn't very greedy. She sleeps in the nestbox rather than perching and is probably my most reliable layer atm.!
But her best thing of all is hanging out with her friends....
taken 5 mins ago -
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Thanks so much Kitla that is a big help. So people know, Ariadne also came from me and I know Kitla is very fond of her and she has fitted in. I believe she also even befriended a tiny little blind hen Giblet is that correct Kitla? She is so lovely. She looks really happy there :) Love your updates
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Is there no one (neighbours, friends, family) who can come and let June freerange and keep an eye on her. It is a shame that things have changed for her :?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Skeksis
Longlasting Laner

Post by Skeksis »

Unfortunately there is nobody. Its really sad. :(. Everyone else has settled in so well but unless she has lots of FR time she just paces the run. There are so many foxes here that I just cant risk leaving her out unsupervised either ;(