A new dog tomorrow

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

A new dog tomorrow

Post by albertajune »

We weren't going to again, but have decided to adopt this little Bichon Frise boy. He has had a sad life, being a stud dog on a dog farm in Wales and living on his own in a cage for 6yrs. He has been in foster for 4weeks and learning that there is life outside his shed. When rescued he had to be shorn and had a very painful ear infection that is now cleared up. He does have a problem with one leg when he over does the walks and has the occasional pain killer to help him. It may be a congenital problem or a problem caused because of no exercise. Short walks are at the moment called for. He is also very clingy and doesn't like being left on his own, so this is what is going to have to be worked on once he is settled in and comfortable in my home. We are always here, but do have to shop once a week and of course the unexpected can happen when we may have to go out for a short time. He panics when he sees a crate, so he can't go in one.

He has been tested with a cat and just sniffed it and walked away. I'm just hoping that my little cat is not worried about a strange dog being in the home. She grew up with our little Smudgy who was a Bijon cross, but was frightened of Megan who was a big girl. Fingers crossed. )t'

Anyway we pick him up on Sunday morning and all being well he will live the rest of his days being loved and made a fuss of. I do feel a bit sorry him at being uprooted from where he has gained so much confidence, but another little scrap is waiting to go there.
He is at the moment being called Scrappy because of the way he looked. Not sure yet what to change it to, especially as he is responding to that name.

If you are interested you can see him below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7JiQVRcsMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: A new dog tomorrow

Post by kitla »

He looks really lovable, I think you're going to make eachother very happy!
Perhaps if you wanted to change his name you could think of something that sounds
like Scrappy - I once knew a lab called "Happy"
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, June he is gorgeous and I am so pleased he has found you, bless him and you. )t'

I will eagerly look forward to all your updates, with piccies of course. LOL
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Gwenoaks, I was about to write exactly the same!! He is absolutely gorgeous, and how lovely that you have found each other. {hug}

I think the name Scrappy is rather sweet {rofwl} he certainly looks like a little pickle, doesn't he?

I bet you can't wait for tomorrow {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

Oh bless him he looks gorgeous...good for you June he's not going to know himself )like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww what a happy little lad he looks and rightly so, now he is free from that cruel life.
He is very lucky to have found you both.
Taking a rescue is always going to have a few problems, obviously.
Some times when he follows into the kitchen, go out and close the door, momentarily then open again. As the time goes on make it a little longer he is on his own.
When you do go out, don't make a big deal. No sorrowful goodbyes. Just go. Same when you get back no mad greeting of him. Then perhaps he will realise it is just a fact of life.
Any problems and I have leaflets I can send on.
It will take a little time try not to get stressed over it. You can always change his name he hasn't had it that long. Sometimes it is a break from all things bad.
Well done )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for the offer of leaflets if needed Wendy. I feel fairly confident and my main concern is that the cat is OK, but feel sure it will all work out in time.
I think it is amazing how quickly these poor dogs fit into family life. This little one had never seen a toy before but each time the fosterer has phoned me, he has been playing with his squeaky in the background.
Looking forward to bringing him home tomorrow. OH likes the name of Brody which means strong. I'm fed up with thinking about names as the more I think the more I change my mind. :?
perchy

Post by perchy »

Aww he looks beautiful, happy days ahead for him and you {hug}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Aww June I can't tell you how delighted I am, he is gorgeous and he's going to have such a wonderful life with you. {hug}
There will be difficulties to overcome but the rewards are indescribable.

Bella has been with us 10 weeks now and even though she's settled really well into our lives there are still moments when she reminds us of her terrible past ..she now has problems with her eyes from being kept in a dark shed for so long. {cry} I can't tell you what I'd like to do to those puppy farmers {mr.angry} but it raises my spirits every time I hear of another victim being given a lovely forever home ...bless you June. {hug}

Don't worry about changing his name ...Bella's name was Delight but she accepted her new name from day 1. )t'
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

He is lovely June, hope he settles in and you are ace in rescuing him and giving him his forever home. Love the name. {hug}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Wishing you all a lovely future together )t' )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

We have him at home and he is a real little sweetie. He has been for his first walk with us, didn't want to go and then didn't want to come back.
He was not a bit interested in the cat but she went off anyway and will just have to get used to him being here.
Name wise, he is being called Beau, a little sweetheart.

Thank you for your good wishes. We did initially think that we were too old to adopt again, just in case he is left. However, when signing for a dog, you agree that if for any reason you are unable to look after an adopted dog, they are returned to be kept in a foster home

The charity by the way is called Many Tears Animal Rescue which I hope I can give a plug for. They do such wonderful work.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Many Tears Animal Rescue is the same organisation we had Bella from June. They are not a charity and rely on donations and fundraising by friends of Many Tears....so only too glad to give them another plug.. )like(

Glad Beau is settling in and not annoying the cat ..looking forward to your updates. )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Aww he sounds adorable
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Sara

Post by Sara »

Aww what a cutie June, I think Beau suits him perfectly.. {hug} {hug}

Cant wait to hear how he gets on, but im sure he already knows hes fallen well on his paws with you {hug} {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX