free Cockerals, any takers in lancashire?

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
davensony
Learner Laner

free Cockerals, any takers in lancashire?

Post by davensony »

Hi,
I've just hatched my 1st little batch of chicks(the natural way, using a broody) ive got 7 healthy chicks that are currently only 3 weeks old, they're a mixed bunch( cream legbar x welsummer +various!) at the minute Im pretty sure(about 90%) that there are 3 males(ive already caught 2 of them having a little crowing practise sesh)) I'm happy to keep them until they mature a bit(maybe a couple more months) but once they start crowing loudly keeping them just wouldn't be an option as I live in a built up housing estate and I think id get lynched, So ideally id like to try my best to find homes for the boys or give them to somebody that will get good use out of them(even if its just raising them for meat) before having to resort to despatching them myself

I have pictures I can maybe post taken between hatching day and now(3 weeks old) and I could add more as they grow if that helps?

So im just trying to find out in advance if anybody knows of somebody that would take them of my hands in the Lancashire area(im in Blackburn) obviously they would be free and I could also deliver locally for no charge.

thanks for any advise

david

p.s. sorry, site nebie here :oops: I posted this topic elsewhere on the site but have only just spotted this thread and think its more appropriate.

davensony
Learner Laner

Re: free Cockerals, any takers in lancashire?

Post by davensony »

1 of those that I strongly suspect to be a male is starting to look very much like a Copper Maran(and hes a very confident little fella already and seems quite protective of his siblings) the other 2 that I suspect are male are looking more like cream legbars,

id post pics, but im not sure how to on here!

D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Post in Photobucket, click the 'share' link, then copy and paste to here the 'img' code.

Wishing you well, regret Cockerels are difficult to re-home, but you never know )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
davensony
Learner Laner

Post by davensony »

thanks, ill have a go at getting a few pics up at the weekend,
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Hi David
We are up the road in Lancaster and might be interested in your cockerels.
Do you still have them, if so, how are they getting on?
We are thinking of breeding from our ladies.
Ellie x
davensony
Learner Laner

Post by davensony »

hi, thanks but out of the 4 cockerels i had theres only 2 remaining, i couldn't find takers for the other 2 and there crowing had become to loud, so i sadly had to despatch, they where about 3 months old and had plenty of meat on them(which found its way into a good curry) so they didn't die for absolutely nothing and i got a practice lesson in despatching and butchering chickens, which was interesting(if a little sad at the same time)

ive 2 cockerels remaining, 1 of them doesn't have a very loud penetrating crow(yet) so im going to try and hang onto him for as long as possible, the other is now crowing loudly but to be honest lancaster a bit to far to drive(from blackburn) for just 1 bird(and he's a total mix breed so you may not have wanted to breed from him anyway)

thanks a lot for the interest though,

(and sorry to anybody that may have found some of my above post a little crude and possibly upsetting)

regards
david
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, I think that anyone who isn't a vegetarian shouldn't object to you sourcing your meat from a grower that you KNOW treats the birds well.

But I understand the sadness too.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire