Courgettes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Courgettes

Post by Citrine »

Good morning!

Id like to pose a question....Im growing courgettes (4th year running, different place in garden) and this year, they seem to be afflicted by some sort of sogginess.
They set ok, but once the flower has gone, they either rot at the end (flower end) or are soggy in the middle. And this is from very small to bigger sizes.

Any ideas please as to the cause??

Thanks!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Courgettes

Post by lancashire lass »

It's likely to be poor pollination - you may think the fruit has set but there is nearly always a baby courgette at the end of a flower even before pollination, and if unsuccessful then the fruit is discarded by the plant so that it can concentrate its energies on more flower development to set seed for the next generation. Poor pollination is usually due to few insects around (especially if it is raining) or the male and female flowers are not in synch so an opportunity missed - this often happens when plants are just starting to flower especially in early summer. If you only have one plant, then the risk is even greater but generally improves as the season goes on.

If courgettes are maturing and then start to rot, then it could be a water problem - too much rain or watering and warm damp conditions invite an array of moulds and fungi which take advantage of the conditions. Are the plants getting full sun - shade can mean water lingers around a lot longer and are ideal conditions for the moulds.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Thanks for your reply :)

Ive about 5 plants...slugs ate a few of them, so I planted plenty. They are still flowering.

They are sited directly next to 5 Beehives, and we also have butterflies, hoover flies, ladybirds etc. (try to keep an environment rich for insects...)

Could it be that when Ive watered them, some water may have gotten into the flower itself and caused the rotting?

The same is happening to my Mums courgettes...she also has an insect rich garden, and a slug problem.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Snap....same problem but they have improved.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Citrine wrote:They are sited directly next to 5 Beehives

You would think that would be ideal LOL

A few years back I had a pollination problem with winter squashes that were growing on the patio. Interestingly, earlier flowering squashes had a great fruit set but thereafter it tailed off just as the next batch were in flower. The lavender bushes smack in the middle of the patio were also coming into full flower and they were covered in every bee and hoverfly imaginable. I concluded that if something tastes better, then the big blousey yellow flowers of the squashes just don't have the pulling power. Also, the squash flowers tend to be mature in the very early morning - I don't know why as there aren't that many insects around then.

Citrine wrote:Could it be that when Ive watered them, some water may have gotten into the flower itself and caused the rotting?

It's a strong possibility - even if the water didn't cause the problem, there is a risk the pollen has got wet and become useless (it is only viable for a short space of time), thereby back to square one of poor pollination.

I have been doing a bit of research and another possibility is the recent weather - very high temperatures, followed by heavy rain and if this is the case, it could be stress brought on by fluctuations in soil moisture. Also, too much nitrogen gives rapid sappy growth which is prone to insect attack (as in damage to cell walls then allow pathogens such as moulds to enter) Are the leaves clean or do they have a milky white coating? Powdery mildew can become a problem when there are hot days and cool nights, and the soil is dry - once a plant is weakened, it can affect fruit production but I'd imagine this is not the case here.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

All squash type plants need lots of feed as they are very hungry plants ,either lots of well rotted compost or manure dug in ,when you water try not to water the leaves go for base of plant ,germination could be a factor ,as could the weather hot wet humid can cause all sorts of problems.
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Hi Citrine, how are the bees? Nice to see you back.
Bah Humbug
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Yes, they do have a touch of mildew...maybe thats the problem.

Most people who have grown courgettes this year seem to have a similar problem - many thanks for your replies, they've really helped +f+

Bees are doing wonderfully, thanks! Now have 26 Hives!
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Hi. I have always grown loads of great courgettes. Not done anything different this year but they have been rubbish. }hairout{
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have an abundance of courgettes from six plants, >veg4< and have been giving them out to anyone who wants them. Mine are in two raised beds. I put the lawn mowings on the compost heap and at the end of summer this gets transferred to the beds and left to rot all winter. I don't feed them with anything and don't rotate crops. Mind you, runner beans are not doing so well this year, might be a pollination problem.
Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Mine are all singing and dancing have to say.

You always get something which isn't so good every year.

Strangely I was speaking to a full time Gardener where I do some work and everything growing well for me is the same for him and everything not growing well for me is the same for him also.

I'm sure weather and climate (same thing!!) come into it, certain parts of the country, even certain parts of a county.

I've had loads of Bees, Wasps and other friendly buggy things in the Garden this year.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Citrine wrote:They are sited directly next to 5 Beehives, and we also have butterflies, hoover flies, ladybirds etc. (try to keep an environment rich for insects...)

I read somewhere recently that there is no point planting up a bee friendly garden for your own bees. The book said that bees won't forage close to their hives - they insist on travelling a bit.
But I am sure you are going to tell me that you often see bees on your own flowers???