Green Runner Beans

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
midskate
Learner Laner

Green Runner Beans

Post by midskate »

What causes Green Runner Beans to be inedible? The outer skin is like a hard shell! When cooked it was like eating razor blades. I bought them from a local gardener ( not sure wether to tell him) as he sell's quite a lot of produce.

thank you

Ku
p.penn

Re: Green Runner Beans

Post by p.penn »

What a shame! Actually it's that and stringy beans which usually puts me off them.

I would think that either they have suffered with lack of water, or just left too long before picking.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I don't see the point in leaving runner beans to grow big, they go tough & no one
wants to eat them. Besides you can buy big runner beans from the shops, what
you cant buy is lovely tender young runner beans, picked before they need stringing.
When my husband does the picking he always comes in with the big ones,
(its a man thing )run( ) half of them end up on the compost heap & I sneak out & pick some small ones when he's not looking.
Next year you should grow your own!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

The beans have been left too long before picking and have gone to seed. The razor sharp membrane forms to protect the seed. Unfortunately once the plant had set seed it stops producing more beans. Pick them when they are young and tender and the plants will keep on producing. )t'
midskate
Learner Laner

Post by midskate »

Thanks for all the reply's

The said beans don't look old, I may take what's left back to the seller! I've grown them in the past (delicious) I think he should be made awAre ..not asking for my money back :? Oh well it's off to SAinsburys for some decent ones :-D

Xxx