economical electric fires.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

economical electric fires.

Post by mrs boodles »

I have my own little sitting room at daughters but has no heating in it. Has a fireplace but chimney is capped and hasn`t been used for years. I bought my electric fire with me from Sussex when I moved but Think it is going to use a hell of a lot of electric. Wondered if anyone knew of an electric heater that is a bit more economical to run. I do need to keep reasonably warm because of chest but don`t want bills rocketing.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: economical electric fires.

Post by silverback »

Hi Mrs B, I'm not sure as to what type of heater would be economical to use in your circumstances, but I would assume an oil filled electric radiator may be worth a look at!.
Here's a link to a review of a few of the most popular ones!, >gl<

http://www.ehow.com/list_7536040_oil-fi ... cient.html
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I have an oil filled heater in my Shed, very economical.

The problem with Convector and fan types is it's hard to find one which gives out a constant heat, they give it to you in short bursts.
Most have three or four economy settings, but even then, you use the same amount to get the heat you want!!

I've no experience of them, but many people swear by Calor Gaz, though some of them are a bit ugly.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Oil filled rads are the way to go in my opinion. They don't warm up the room as quickly as convectors but a good quality one will have a timer so that you can set them to warm the room up before you use it. They also have multiple settings so you can get quicker warmth or maintain temperature reasonably economically.
Calor gas heaters produce quite a bit of condensation if I remember correctly, plus they have to be serviced regularly so that they don't fill the room with carbon monoxide.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
wendy

Post by wendy »

I would say oil filled radiators as well.
Neither of the conservatories have heating and I use them in there in the winter.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello Mrs B. Does your bedroom have heating in it? If so can you put a chair in there? Or, could you join your family in their heated sitting room, until it is time for you to go to bed.
Ilona
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thanks for advice everyone, going to get an oil fired radiator, sounds like they are pretty good.

Hi Ilona,No heating in my bedroom either, I do sit with daughter and partner occasionally and know they wouldn`t mind me being in there more but like my own space and have made sitting room comfortable with my treasures around me.

Its definitely getting a bit chillier but sun is shining so not all bad.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Hi Mrs Boodles. I have a cheap little oil filled heater called 'name of a topographical feature in a famous painting in Scotland with a stag'? not sure whether we are allowed to use trade names- It is tiny but it heats up very quickly and is so economical you could leave it on all night. The heat is not great but it is enough if you are sitting close to it. I am lucky in still possessing (Though for how much longer?) a real electric fire. It only has one bar left but that feels like twice the heat of three halogen bars. Oh why can't we stop progress from taking wrong turnings?