Should I Eat Meat? - The Big Health Dilemma

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Should I Eat Meat? - The Big Health Dilemma

Post by fabindia »

Tonight's Horizon on BBC 2. )eat(

Be interesting to see what conclusions it comes to. I've been vegetarian for years now, no meat or fish, but do eat cheese and eggs. It hasn't had any ill effect - so far (fingers crossed). But on the other hand that is not the same as saying eating meat is bad for you.
Michael
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Re: Should I Eat Meat? - The Big Health Dilemma

Post by Kuikentje »

Meat is completely unnecessary - I was veggie for years but I have to confess I haven't the motivation to cook two separate meals for my husband and me. I haven't watched the programme though because I've just been on the phone for a whole hour with a friend who needed a bit of a chat.
Life's too short to quarrel
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

It was quite interesting, the guy ate a high meat diet for a month and was tested for his weight, bp, cholesterol & liver function. He had put weight on around his middle, which isn't good, his bp was up, his cholesterol was up, but his liver function was okay. Apparently the only reason his liver function was still fine was because he ate a lot of fruit & veg.

We hardly ever buy bacon but I think I'm going to give up eating sausages after seeing that {rofwl}
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Well I fell asleep halfway through it (we were watching it on catch-up and it was gone midnight) hubby watched it to the end and has now said ham, bacon and sausages are evil and he intends to stop eating them OMG he is hard enough to feed as it is with one thing and another.... about the only thing left is fish as he has almost given up red meat too..... I might try and watch it and stay awake this time....
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

The conclusion I think they came to was eating red meat wasn't bad for you. In fact, meat is an excellent source of protein. Bacon, sausage and processed meats on the other hand definitely a no, no.

Is eating meat good for the planet, is a different issue. Seven billion people cannot eat as much meat as the average American does now.
Michael
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Good news for pigs! not so good for chickens {cry}
I was glad to hear we don't need to be so hung up about saturated fat, and
a lot of what we get from meat is also in cheese & nuts.
I also find it interesting how Italians live longer than us yet eat a lot of processed
meats (salami etc) it's thought probably due to all the fresh veg,fruit, olive oil etc
& healthier lifestyle that goes alongside it.
I do wonder if they'll be new products brought out that use different processing
methods that make them less harmful, perhaps fresh-frozen rather than preserved.

"Hamburgers and minced meats only count as processed meat if they have been preserved with salt or chemical additives."

The best idea I spose is to make your own burgers - and sausages (if you can cope
with the slimy stuff) with no preservtives
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

fabindia wrote: Seven billion people cannot eat as much meat as the average American does now.

Blimey the average American eats the same amount of meat as seven billion people, no wonder they have an obesity problem. :-D

kitla wrote:Good news for pigs! not so good for chickens

Depends how you look at it.
Good news for piggies, in that if there isn't the demand they won't be bred for food but bad news in that their numbers will drop dramatically as there will only be pets and specimen pigs left.
And vicky verky for chooks.
Dom
Ali Woks My World