Injured Pheasant Poult

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
montysmum1
Learner Laner

Injured Pheasant Poult

Post by montysmum1 »

Hi everyone,
I'm new, and looking for some advice please.
My other half works on a farm, and someone has run over a group of small pheasant poults (blackbird size) in the wheat field. Most escaped unscathed, but one little one has had his toes chopped off, and hence is now at home with me, as he wouldn't have survived in otherwise. I have gently bathed his foot in saline, and have him wrapped in a towel to dry off, and warm up. The bleeding isn't too bad, but I don't want to give him asprin just yet, as it hasn't clotted properly. Is there anything else I can do for him for now?
Thank you in advance.
manda

Re: Injured Pheasant Poult

Post by manda »

He needs pain relief...vet?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
montysmum1
Learner Laner

Post by montysmum1 »

Thank you, yes, he's made it through the night and is going to the vet this morning for pain relief - the avian vets I am lucky enough to have here were closed yesterday afternoon, and I didn't want to give him asprin like I've seen online because of the bleeding.
He seems very perky, though I've yet to see him eat/drink, but I'm hoping he's a little fighter and will continue to improve!
manda

Post by manda »

Glad to hear he's still with you :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

let us know how it gets on!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Firstly, welcome to DTL. )wav(

How is he today?
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Pheasants are difficult to bring up, especially if they are on their own. He needs warmth of course, an incubator if you have one, or a well padded hot waterbottle changed every five hours and chick crumb is OK as food. Also finely chopped grass. But getting them to feed is very difficult. You have to make the food move before the chick will eat it. You might have to use small LIVE mealworms. Pheasants make lovely pets, but they need to be kept in an aviary- a chicken run with a top. If you can get a couple of hen chicks their company will stimulate him, and give him a better chance.