Potato/tomato hybrid?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Potato/tomato hybrid?

Post by Meanqueen »

Something very strange on my potato plants this year. They went to flower, then there appeared small round green balls on them, like green tomatoes, a bit bigger than peas. They are very hard, I cut one open and found little seeds inside. What's that all about then? :?
The potatoes are alright, they are in raised beds and I just stick my hand in and firkle around when I want some.
Ilona
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: Potato/tomato hybrid?

Post by tosca100 »

They are not hybrids, just the same family.They are the fruits of the potato, but are not edible. The potatoes are just swollen roots, as you will know, and the flowers do not usually produce fruit, but it can happen.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Definitely not a tomato, and definitely not edible (from wikipedia:

After flowering, potato plants produce small green fruits that resemble green cherry tomatoes, each containing about 300 seeds. Like all parts of the plant except the tubers, the fruit contain the toxic alkaloid solanine and are therefore unsuitable for consumption.

This is how new potato varieties are bred - crossing known varieties to produce seed, growing on and selecting features such as blight resistance, various pest resistance, improved yield, and of course most important of all, flavour and cooking qualities.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You don't get them on all varieties of spud - some are sterile so no seeds ( from already being highly bred I think).
They do look odd though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire