Cat car travelling advice please

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Cat car travelling advice please

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Next Thursday I'm driving Leo and Laura along with their two cats to their new home in Southampton (the furniture etc. is coming down by van Friday).

I've driven cats a few miles before but never on a journey like this - 130 miles, usually takes me 2 1/2 hours. 122 miles of which are Motorway so not too stop start.

Any advice as in medications available, sprays, space, windows shut or open etc. would be appreciated.

They are indoor cats by the way (they're rescued and their Mother had FIA / Feline Aids, so could be carriers).

I suggested going to the Vet for something?

Thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Re: Cat car travelling advice please

Post by urbanchicks »

I would suggest transporting them in a small dog cage covered with a blanket,you could put water and some dry food in small dishes hooked onto the wire(like the ones for parrots etc).There is a product called Feliway which comes in a spray,it has a calming effect on them, spray the pen a few minutes before putting in the cats.It would be best not to give them a lot of food before travelling.Feline Aids does not transmit to humans.Check on them at intervals on a motor service station and offer them a litter tray(buy a small kitten one).Hope that helps.

Maggie
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you Maggie, I will buy some.

They've had them about 8 months so around 10 months old.
I've cat sat wth them a few times so they know me OK.

Good news is they're moving to a much larger place, so more space for them.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I would definitely keep them contained in cat box or small cage to prevent any escapes between houses.

Haven't transported cats so can only give my experience of bringing Bella our rescue dog home. We took her cage and bedding to her fosterer a few days before so her bedding had familiar smells. On the day we brought her home her fosterer put her in her cage and drove to meet us at a service area on the M5, that took about an hour. Once we'd put the cage in our car next to Barney, we opened the cage door slightly to offer her water but she was too frightened to drink. It took us about 2½ hours from there so she was in her cage for about 3½ - 4 hours altogether. The whole time the car was moving she slept, only waking up when we stopped or slowed down in traffic. We kept the aircon on for the whole journey as it was a really warm day. She didn't rush to drink when we got home but went straight out to her new garden to explore so none the worse for her journey.

Hope the day goes well for you all. )t'

As long as the two cats are in the same container I'm sure they'll be fine and sleep for the best part of the journey. I'd make sure they are familiar with the container before the journey and put something comfy in it for them to snuggle into.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Think you've had some sound advice already, Richard.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy journey to their new home )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you everyone.

Because we're going the day before all their stuff arrives, we're taking their favourite cushions and the duvet cover down, so the car and new place will have some known smells around them.

Shame isn't it, always feel sorry when your pets are a bit disorientated.

Richard )t' )t'
Hellebore
Lively Laner

Post by Hellebore »

I give my cat Zylkene from the vet's, makes her so laid back. Google it and read the reviews for other peoples experiences with it. What I like is the fact that is is a natural product and no dr-ugs involved :-D