CRAB APPLE & ROSEMARY JELLY RECIPE -

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
tanya
Learner Laner

CRAB APPLE & ROSEMARY JELLY RECIPE -

Post by tanya »

Sorry - I put this by mistake in another area of the forum. Hope you can all find it if interested.

1kg crab apples
water
large handful of fresh rosemary sprigs
white wine vinegar
white sugar

Wash and chop apples (I put mine in a food processer and pulse until chopped fairly small, but not mushy).

place in preserving pan, cover with water and cook until mush and soft, adding more water if necessary.

Turn into a jelly bag (I use a muslin nappy) and leave to drip overnight.

Next day, wash rosemary, reserving a few sprigs. Heat liquid gently in a covered pan, add the rosemary and simmer gently for 5 mins. Remove from heat, cover and leave to stand for abou 20 mins.

Strain, measure the liquid and for every 600ml taken, measure 150ml vinegar.

Mix liquids together, measure again and for every 600ml then obtained, take 450g sugar.

Warm sugar.

Reheat liquid gently and add the warmed sugar, stirring well until it has dissolved.

Bring to boil and boil rapidly until a set is obtained. Skim.

Wash and dry remaining rosemary. When the jelly has cooled a little, half fill the pots, cool a little more and place a sprig of rosemary upright in the jar. The jelly should be set enough to support it. Fill to the top with jelly. Seal when cold.

Tip - I usually reduce the amount of vinegar slightly - it's simply a question of taste, but it will also make the jelly reach setting point slightly more quickly.
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

I love crabapple jelly but have never made it. Thanks for the recipe - I'll scrounge some crabapples )t'
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

Thanks Tanya for the recipe, definetly try this one

Derra