neighbourly diplomacy

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

neighbourly diplomacy

Post by bmpsands »

We have lovely next door neighbours. We swap plants, etc, backwards and forwards and the two OHs are complementary - one a retired builder and the other an electrician. So - it's important to keep them happy.

Lovely neighbours have given us a marrow. I was forced to eat it as a child and hated it. OH is willing to give it a go, and I feel that I should try again.

Best marrow recipes?????

I know I can rely on Laners
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: neighbourly diplomacy

Post by Totally Scrambled »

If any of the marrow recipes still don't excite you then you can always knock up a marrow chutney which is delicious )t'
4lbs marrows/courgettes.
1.5lbs onions.
2lbs demerera sugar.
2 lemons (grated rinds and juice.
2tbsp ground corriander.
1tsp ground cumin.
1tsp cayenne pepper.
2tsp salt.
1litre white wine vinegar.
Peel, quarter and de-seed marrow. Cut into half" x 1" cubes.
Thinly slice onions.
Put these in a non reactive pan with all the other ingredients and bring slowly to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionaly for 3 hours.
spoon into warm sterilized jars and seal.
It may look a bit runny but thickens up as it cools.

Keeps about a year
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I can give you ideas but not recipes, I'm afraid, because I've lost sight of quantities over time.
1) Cut the marrow into halves lengthways and scrape pips & pulp from the centre. Lightly oil the skins, wrap in foil or put in covered dish. Make up a dryish mince & onions in gravy - no need to cook through - then fill the marrow. Cover. Bake for about 30-40mins on med/low heat.
2) Prep as above, but filling this time is chopped onion & garlic softened in little oil, add kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, veg stock cube, tomato paste and a couple of tspns cinnamon all seasoned to taste. Be generous with the tomato puree and cinnamon. Bake as above, and serve with cheese sauce. It's nice with potato of choice.

The second I think is a Gail Duff recipe. I'd never had tomato & cinnamon before and was dubious, but it's a really nice and classic veggie combo. The marrow plays very much a supporting role in both dishes, so you don't really have to like it to eat it! On similar lines, it might work well with a chilli filling too. We also used to add it to bulk out stews.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

We used to have them pealed, sliced, steamed with cheese sauce poured over
as a veg with the meal. As I'm the only one in my family that likes it now the
only thing I do if I've given one is put in in the curry!
I did once have one stuffed with spicy mince and baked, it was lovely.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks. Some good ideas there. That's the afternoon sorted.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
manda

Post by manda »

I make Christmas(there I said it!!!) mince with courgette's / marrows....i'ts really nice.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

One for if you don't mind deep fried food. Marrow chunks or small rings dipped in seasoned flour and batter and then deep fried are lovely, especially if you have a nice sauce to dip them in. I like them with curry spices. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Mmmmmm - that sounds yummy. I'm going to try that.