LED Lightbulbs

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

LED Lightbulbs

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I've been thinking about these for a while but the cost is putting me off.
I know they use a lot less energy than incandescent or halogen bulbs and so will save you money in the long run and I've been trying to work out how long it would be until I would break even, never mind start saving.
I can work out the price difference in the bulbs but my maths isn't up to working out the energy savings that would translate into lower electricity bills.
I have worked out that for the lights in the kitchen and sitting room I need 13 bulbs and the halogen bulbs I have now cost me a total of £19.50. To replace them with LED bulbs would cost me £181 yike*
I could buy just over 60 halogen bulbs for that money which would last me a long time and has made me think twice about swapping over.
I will keep plugging away at the maths to try to work out how long it would be until I would start making savings but if anyone has a simple way of working it out I would appreciate it )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Re: LED Lightbulbs

Post by p.penn »

I was thinking of getting an led craft lamp, but couldn't get beyond the fact you throw it away when the bulb goes }hairout{

Dom, its all very confusing isn't it. It was tricky enough when there was 40/60 watt and plain/pearl choice!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

I didn't realise how expensive they were, I even asked the assistant if they had been priced correctly {rofwl}
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have the cheaper ones. I don't know if they are halogen or the other one. But...... I spend my life keep changing the blessed things. One evening I had 5 out !!!
To be honest I am trying to find out the size of mine and getting some LED ones.
I think it would work out cheaper. I have 20 in my lounge, not including that tree lamp I have. }hairout{
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

I do hope you wasn't in a place like home base when you did the maths Dom.
There are places that are far cheaper !
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We had them fitted in the kitchen when we had a new kitchen in recently. They are expensive but at the same time so was the kitchen {cry}
Michael
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

I don't know about LED light bulbs, but I can't stand LED torches. They give out a blue light which has no power of penetration. I don't know whether they have changed the colour for domestic light bulbs, but I wouldn't like to be lit by a dim blue light! The dim yellow of halogen is bad enough! Bring back tungsten oh please please! It is the most economical, and only contributes a fraction of the weight and poison to the landfill, that all the others do.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I just replaced six spot lights in our kitchen, six spot lights for under twenty quid. there are loads of online places. one of the problems I found with LED lights when I first put some in was that they were too white, very cold, but these ones give out a warm light and unlike some others they are dimmable. here's the link but it might disappear once the offer has gone.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Had a nice letter from my electrickery supplier yesterday... they are reducing my monthly direct debit because my electrickery usage has dropped. I reckon that most of this is down to my ongoing programme of changing all my bulbs over to LED ones; it's a no brainer if you remove a 40w and replace it with s 3w lamp, you are definately going to save on the power usage.
Bah Humbug