'Gardening for Bees & other Insects' - BBC Video

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

'Gardening for Bees & other Insects' - BBC Video

Post by Richard »

This is from last week's Gardener's World.

Bridget Strawbridge as some will know was in the 'It's not easy being Green' series a few years back.

Since then she's gone it alone and a highly respected knowledge on Garden Wildlife.

So nice to see and hear such enthusiasm and passion about something..

[center][bbc] Strawbridge [/bbc][/center]

Her blog.... http://beestrawbridge.blogspot.co.uk/

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
animartco
Lively Laner

Re: 'Gardening for Bees & other Insects' - BBC Video

Post by animartco »

Hi Richard et al, I don't know how many species of bees I have in my garden but it must be around two dozen or more. There is always a selection buzzing around every clump of flowers. I don't deliberately 'make' bee houses, but I hate bonfires so all the garden rubbish gets piled up in corners, which produces a soft burrowable compost which they love. Whenever I try to move any of the piles I almost always have to work round a nest.
Last year I sadly found a hole dug in the garden at the bottom of which were sitting about forty disconsolate bees. A fox or something must have dug down for the honey. They were tiny furry bees with red tails, very sweet. I have a picture but I can't see how to upload it. Could you tell me how?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Interesting.

Fabindia will probably point you in the right direction.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Great little piece on what we can all do for wildlife.

I must admit, I have become a bit of bee fanatic since I got my hive. I have always been a bit nuts about insects, but bees, bumble, honey and solitary, are just so fascinating.
Michael
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just thought I'd bump this one up, with Spring just around the corner etc.

Plus whilst the camera swivels around Beatrice's Garden (first post video) you'll see a number of Bug Houses and other little features.

Richard )t'