STRESS,????

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
barboo
Lively Laner

STRESS,????

Post by barboo »

Well in order to join in as a new member ive been reading some of the older threads to get the general feel of what the members interest are,
I came across one thread ref stress and i gave it thought and tried to think of today as a living world and the yesterdays of the same thing "Living then"

I was raised by my grand parents,
My Nan never owned her own home always rented, no cent/ heating, Living week to week,
She didn't have a passport and as far as i know never went abroad or had a holiday,
She got through the 2nd world war having lost one of her son's,
Still as i was growing up she'd not allow waste on your plate, Yet i never once heard the word stress used and im sure if anyone had a reason to be stressed out it was that generation of folk who had little but made what they did have stretch.

Have we become a nation of must have's,
Is this why so many kids are over weight and will pay the price in later life?
Whats your thoughts on Stress.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: STRESS,????

Post by Totally Scrambled »

An old boy I knew reached his 100th Birthday and was asked by a reporter, "What do you attribute your reaching 100 to."
He replied, "After fighting in the trenches for four years everything else was a piece of p1$$"
Dom
Ali Woks My World
barboo
Lively Laner

Post by barboo »

Totally Scrambled wrote:An old boy I knew reached his 100th Birthday and was asked by a reporter, "What do you attribute your reaching 100 to."
He replied, "After fighting in the trenches for four years everything else was a piece of p1$$"
Dom

Very true,
We all seem to come together when something bad happens be it war or death,

I read this in the terry wogan's book,

Alice and her husband Ted we're having dinner one cold winters night during the 2nd world war in their home in London's dockland,
Everyone expected the nightly air raids and everyone knew what to do when the bombers came, "Get to the air raid shelters as fast as you can",
The wardens banged on every door, the air raid sirons sounded and "TED" said quick Alice lets get out of danger and to the shelter!!!!

As they ran for their lives down the street "TED" looked over his shoulder to see his long term wife "Alice" wasn't to be seen !!!!

Ted ran back to the house and there he found "Alice" searching the kitchen work tops,

What the hell are you doing woman "TED" called???????

Ive lost me teeth "ALICE" replied.

They're dropping bloody bomb's "Not sanwiches" ted replied.

(If those days didnt stress the average person out nothing will)
wendy

Post by wendy »

Very strange that they didn't appear to suffer stress.
My poor parents lived in London with 4 children. They were bombed out twice. The 2nd time lost everything, right down to wedding photographs.
My sisters and brother were evacuated [not sure I could do that] and while away one of my sisters was severely scalded. So they all came back to my Mother again.
So on top of everything she had to deal with my sisters burns and fought for her to get the same treatment as the airmen she saw at the hospital. Who came out with nearly new faces and they wanted top leave my sister with an arm she could use. Needless to say my Mum got it.
She was the most calm, placid person I have ever met. Never once showed any signs that she was or had been stress.
No things like counsellors, they just had to get on with life.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
barboo
Lively Laner

Post by barboo »

wendy wrote:Very strange that they didn't appear to suffer stress.
My poor parents lived in London with 4 children. They were bombed out twice. The 2nd time lost everything, right down to wedding photographs.
My sisters and brother were evacuated [not sure I could do that] and while away one of my sisters was severely scalded. So they all came back to my Mother again.
So on top of everything she had to deal with my sisters burns and fought for her to get the same treatment as the airmen she saw at the hospital. Who came out with nearly new faces and they wanted top leave my sister with an arm she could use. Needless to say my Mum got it.
She was the most calm, placid person I have ever met. Never once showed any signs that she was or had been stress.
No things like counsellors, they just had to get on with life.

It's oh so true what you've said,
My gran was the same, very calm person, when my mum and dad decided to devorce i ended up with my nan,
But she always had these sayings, like always look for that little bit of good in everything you think is bad,
I remember my dad telling me to tell the teacher that we lived in a semi detached house,
In a way he was right, we had wall paper on the outside bedroom wall's all thanks to hitlers bombs hitting next door, so in a way it was the only semi in our street (that was the little bit of good "Nan was talking about)
Another thing she would say always wear clean under pants, "you never know when your going to get run over by a bus" )w(

Yes i think they chucked the mould away when they made such people in those days.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

barboo wrote:Another thing she would say always wear clean under pants, "you never know when your going to get run over by a bus"

I think that, or something like it must have been a common saying. I certainly heard it, growing up.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

barboo wrote:
Totally Scrambled wrote:An old boy I knew reached his 100th Birthday and was asked by a reporter, "What do you attribute your reaching 100 to."
Dom

Very true,
We all seem to come together when something bad happens be it war or death,

I read this in the terry wogan's book,

Alice and her husband Ted we're having dinner one cold winters night during the 2nd world war in their home in London's dockland,
Everyone expected the nightly air raids and everyone knew what to do when the bombers came, "Get to the air raid shelters as fast as you can",
The wardens banged on every door, the air raid sirons sounded and "TED" said quick Alice lets get out of danger and to the shelter!!!!

As they ran for their lives down the street "TED" looked over his shoulder to see his long term wife "Alice" wasn't to be seen !!!!

Ted ran back to the house and there he found "Alice" searching the kitchen work tops,

What the hell are you doing woman "TED" called???????

Ive lost me teeth "ALICE" replied.

They're dropping bloody bomb's "Not sanwiches" ted replied.

(If those days didnt stress the average person out nothing will)

Oh That is really good Barbo! The very best way to fight stress. A good laugh!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Stress isn't a word that was used years ago, although people did get worried.

I'm sure that when my mum had to get us out of our beds and into the air raid shelter, she was worried at the noise going on overhead, but she took it in her stride.
I think that lots of todays stress comes from people being in debt, not being able to get work and teens being out at all hours with no knowledge of where they are or doing.

Strangely, work was never a problem. I know that I always had a choice of jobs. As for debt! There was no such thing as a bank card, overdraft, bank loan or even for most a bank account. What we couldn't afford, we made or went without. In the main, it was only professional people who bought a house, so no mortgage. Renting was easy and affordable, different to today.
The GP had to be paid for, so lots of home remedies came into force. Somehow we got through it all with no ill effect. Having no computer or play stations, we played out all day, sometimes mum packed us a lunch and we disappeared for a good few hours. She didn't worry. Even as an older teen, I still had to be home at 10pm, 11 if I was going dancing. I was always in before my parents went to bed.

I personally think that people today are stressed because they live above their means. Simple ways of life have gone, sadly. I can't remember my mother ever feeling hard done by and wishing for more. She may have done but accepted her lot.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Very much 'make do and mend' in out house too.
But if you read books like Cider with Rosie you can't claim that debt is a new invention.

Mind you, we do seem to be going back not forward. I remember laws being brought in to curb Rackmanism, now it's happening again.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I had to look up Rachmanism - an interesting and horrible episode. I'm sure it carries on now, as always, but I don't think it's on the scale it was then. I hope.

I think there have been lots of changes. One of them is that childhood was childhood, so kids went to bed before the watershed and news and other content was carefully monitored, as were newspaper front pages. Most parents would keep their worries to themselves and not dream of discussing them in front of the children, so I think we weren't aware of the trials of adulthood. We seem to obsess about children in a way we didn't used to - my parents often wouldn't buy expensive toys or clothes because we'd grow out of them too quickly and we wouldn't get the wear out of them, and we had to have a better case than just wanting something.

I agree that people saved up for things so didn't have the pressure of debt or keeping up with the Jones. The Jones would be in the same boat as them anyway, so the comparison wouldn't be a depressing one. People didn't expect their houses to be palaces, and spent lots of time out of it following hobbies or community activities.

I also think, though, that there was a sort of fatalism as well - not saying it was right - but not expecting anything else out of life, and often a religious view that trials were sent for a reason, and others were always worse off. I can also see that even before the war life was very tough - illness, death especially in childhood, looking after elderly relatives - and then knowing what others went through in the war, probably does put everything into perspective, as Dom's elderly gent says.