Advice concernint grooming

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Advice concernint grooming

Post by albertajune »

Beau, our adopted Bichon Frise came to us with very sparse hair after having been shaved at rescue. His coat is starting to grow and showing lots of curls. He is not too happy about grooming and will only tolerate being brushed for a short while. He doesn't make a fuss, just pulls away to let me know he's had enough. I keep at it if only with short bursts as it is something that he will have to get used to but yet don't want to make him worried when he see me getting the brushes out.. He is really so good as he has never been brushed before and stands very quietly while I put in his ear drop, wipe his eyes and even trim a little over the eye.

At some point in the future, he will have to go to a professional groomer for the works, ie, nails clipped, ears kept clear of hairs, cut and blow dry. Although this will be some time in the future, I wonder if I should take him to a groomer as his fur grows for just a shampoo, to get him used to going.

My main concern is that when adopting him, we were told that putting him in a cage causes a lot of distress and I imagine he will be put in one at the groomers. I really don't know what to do for the best. My little Smudgy who was half Bichon, half Westie, I did myself but his coat was looser and he just let me do what ever I wanted. In fact he enjoyed it.

If anyone has been in this same position, I would very much like your advice.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Re: Advice concernint grooming

Post by wendy »

Not in the same position June. But can you not have a mobile groomer come and either do it indoors, or some have an equipped van and do it outside your own home, so he doesn't have to go in a crate. You don't want bad connotations with the groomers
I teach older dogs with a treat. Hold treat to mouth and just brush down head and neck, give treat. Hour or so later do the same, going a little further down the neck, give treat and continue further and further. Next day do similar but going a bit further before giving treat. You don't have to brush the whole dog in one day. Just do it bit by bit getting him to like the brush
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
barboo
Lively Laner

Post by barboo »

Hi, Wendy has given good advice here,
To win the respect from any dog and to train it the old bribe works every time,
But once again, you dont know whats happend before you got him And as i always say try putting yourself in the dogs shoes (paw's then)
He's been shaved "why"? And if you'd been shaved dont you feel this slower growing area will be very tender after a very short while of "soft" brushing?

Now ref grooming salons,
As Wendy said you do get mobile ones "but a good shop style salon" will meet your terms ie tell them all the info you have about the dog and request you be there while he's being treated,
The cage business,
The dog is groomed vie a secure top working area and the dog maybe secured by a leash,
The cage is for waiting to be seen by the groomer or waiting tobe collected both these uses can be done away with if the dog is scared of the cage via talking with the groomer and you being there.
It's not unlike a ladies hair salon set-up, you'd never expect to be put in a cage "but having said that these days you never know whats the latest kinky tends {rofwl}
A good groomer will tell you if the dogs thin hair area is ready for all that goes with the grooming,
But as ive said a few times "A GOOD GROOMER"
They know their trade and dont want any upset customers or legal battles.

Good luck and well done for both asking and giving the dog a second chance in life )w(

PS men with a full head of hair use head and shoulders

Can you get anything call (shoulders) for those bald headed men?????
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

No experience here either, but if you cannot get a mobile groomer or him being done at your home then I would talk to a good grooming place and arrange to take him in.....nothing done, just a walk round several times then give treat or better still get the person who works there to give him his treat.

Worked well with Bella our Staffie and the vet, she just couldnt wait to get in there. LOL

As for the brushing/grooming yourself, slowly, slowly catchy monkey and treat like Wendy says.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

As our dog Daisy is a shih tzu she needs a lot of grooming. I have to clean her eyes, her teeth and comb her coat every day, plus she goes to the groomers every 6wks too.

I know Daisy doesn't enjoy me grooming her as when she sees me get all the stuff out leaves the room {rofwl}

So I try to make it as quick as I can and always say how good she is while I am doing it and then reward her with a treat.

As for groomers, as Wendy has suggested maybe look for a mobile one. We don't have any around here but I do think the next best thing is to find a groomer who works from their own home so that it's just the one person they have to get used to and if it's just one person running a business I don't think they use crates. We have one who has her grooming salon set up in a purpose built building in her back garden. She lets her customers leave their dogs or stay with them, it's totally up to the owner. We choose to leave Daisy as it takes so long for her to be groomed.

I don't think she likes the hairdryer part of the grooming session but apart from that she is fine. I'd look for someone by recommendation. We found ours through Wendy's puppy classes as someone there also had a shih tzu and told us how good their groomer was :-D
Lyn

Post by jannie »

Bella has been the same June ..I groom her myself as I do Barney but it is taking lots of patience. I put her on the grooming table every day even if I don't do anything other than put a brush over her. I use the scissors and clippers around her often without touching her and always finish of by smoothing her with them so she takes away a good feeling about them. It's only 3 months since we rehomed her but she is getting more and more relaxed every day .. she still has a few matts under her chin but little by little she is letting me cut them out. She is so brave bless her. It breaks my heart to think how those dreadful people must have shaved her when she was on the puppy farm.
The hairdryer is something that she has come to love by watching Barney ..the first time I put it on she fled into a corner ..now she comes straight in between me and Barney, she loves the warm air blowing underneath her which is great as the smell of the puppy farm has taken a few baths to get rid of.
All I can say is little and often and these little souls do come to enjoy grooming ..just takes time. Have you tried Pet Remedy .. in comes in plug in diffusers and sprays and really helps to calm them and reduce anxiety. {hug}
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank you all for your advice. To be honest, I hadn't even thought of a mobile groomer, so will look to find one. The cage is the thing I am bothered about as he will need some professional attention at some time and I don't want it to be a stressful ordeal for him.

As I said, he doesn't need cutting yet and I am going through some brushing each day with him. Will do as you say Wendy. )t' I had to shampoo his underside as has brown patches caused by over licking. The vet has suggested that I do this every couple of weeks with a special shampoo as bacteria will build up and he will lick more, He was alright with that. I'm hoping to prepare him for the day when he will have to spend some time on the grooming table without being stressed. It is the future that I am looking at.

Barboo, you ask why was he shaved. He has come from a puppy farm where he lived in a cage for 6 years and was only released from this prison 2mths ago. His fur was so matted that it had to come off.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Hi June, we get Tbone (biscon) groomed with the woman on the TV advert for vis-t-aprint!.
He gets a proper cut every 8-10 weeks, but every 4-5 weeks he just gets a shampoo. Like your Beau Tbone has never been that keen on being brushed, and thats not for the want of trying, I can only assume it's because of the curly hair that catches and gets pulled!.
Would be interested to know about the shampoo you use for the brown patches on Beau, as Tbone is constantly licking his front paw, which is brown!. )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just realised I have a similar problem with Tilly. The rescue GSD I am working with. She is a long coat and doesn't appreciate her tail being groomed.
I am on the touch, titbit regime at the moment. Treat on mouth touch and give her the treat. I have done this a couple of days now and she is good. She did put her mouth on me on Monday. Nothing naughty, but just a little 'I don't like that' gesture. I will try with the brush again tomorrow........if I remember to pick it up :?
It isn't bribery, by the way. If it was you wouldn't move the goalposts and give treat. It is rewarding what you want and going a little further each time.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

silverback wrote:Hi June, we get Tbone (biscon) groomed with the woman on the TV advert for vis-t-aprint!.
He gets a proper cut every 8-10 weeks, but every 4-5 weeks he just gets a shampoo. Like your Beau Tbone has never been that keen on being brushed, and thats not for the want of trying, I can only assume it's because of the curly hair that catches and gets pulled!.
Would be interested to know about the shampoo you use for the brown patches on Beau, as Tbone is constantly licking his front paw, which is brown!. )t'

I bought a shampoo called 'anemology white wash'. It is formulated for white dogs and amongst the other things it boasts is that it is stain removing. It is quite expensive, about £5 but does do what it says. Beau was really a darkish brown in places and that has now got down to a beige. If you can't find it in the pet shop, there is a web site. www.animology.co.uk

I bought it at Pets For Home if you have one near you. )t'
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Thank you June )t' )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

There is a franchise which I think is nationwide called Dial a Dog Groomer,but if you go to your local area and google dog groomers you will find information.

Maggie
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

urbanchicks wrote:There is a franchise which I think is nationwide called Dial a Dog Groomer,but if you go to your local area and google dog groomers you will find information.

Maggie

Thank you very much for that Maggie. Will do )t'