Varifocals

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Re: Varifocals

Post by kate egg »

Ha, that was weird reading about getting varifocals then realising it was 5 years ago (!) as I have just recently dived in again and am persevering with them this time, I guess my eyesight has deteriorated and also the modern frames are bigger giving more space to vary the focus in the lens.

Distance is no problem, working between desktop and computer screen is taking a bit more getting used to. The opitican said that I would need to point my nose/chin in the right direction and move my head as I read along a line, eventually your brain is supposed to do this without you noticing. I have a 60 day option and if I am really struggling they will replace the lenses with reading or distance and refund the difference....
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Thank you for the replies :)

In fact I am inclined to claustrophobia, particularly if outdoors without my glasses as the "fog" of what I can't focus on seems to start closing in on me. I have even had to leave those supermarkets that are so huge that you can't see the end wall to avoid having a panic attack. Hence the worry about it.

That's useful that you say you need to move your head from side to side to read Kate. The field of clear vision must be really narrow if that's the case. I hope you get used to them soon.

Good idea to speak to a different person about it too, Ilona, I think I will try that. I have a feeling I'll decide to stick with just the distance lenses though and get some frames that don't have the wire nose rest bits so they don't get stuck in my hair when I push them up to read labels etc - must look a right idiot in the supermarket trying to disentangle my glasses from my hair when I forget not to push them up... {rofwl}
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I have some very up to date plastic frames (funny how fashions come and go even for specs!) I had some HUGE ones in the 80s, these aren't that big but the larger lens certainly works better than the narrow ones I had 5 years ago. (and no irritating nose pieces)

They seem to have a strong focus at the bottom in the middle that changes as it goes to the side of the lens and higher up the lens until it is distance vision. I have double trouble as I am short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other, always have been and my eyes compensate for each other. So although I could now read with my right eye it is still always my left eye that reads as that is the one that always has >coc< (where is the rolling eye smilie when you want one?)

I was given a card when I collected my varifocals that explained how you kind of point your nose/chin at what you want to read and follow the words - your brain is supposed to do this without you thinking about it after a while - my brain is obviously a little slow }hairout{
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Oh yes, I had large shiny blue frames in the 80s and then even larger pink frames in the 90s but more recently I've had little oval wire frames which would probably be terribly small for varifocals. However, after speaking to another optician I've decided to stick with the distance lenses for the moment and picked some of the plastic rectangular frames that seem to be popular at the moment - I might even be able to read labels by looking under the bottom of them without pushing them up {rofwl}
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx