Frogs

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
perchy

Frogs

Post by perchy »

This is a bit of a long story but I will try and make it brief don't want to send you all ~eep~ about 10 years ago we bought a couple of sand pits and made them into ponds for wildlife, it was successful and had frogs, newts dragon flies etc there, well over the years and the introduction of chickens the bottom of the garden became neglected, this week Mr P decided to tackle it yike* anyway, we have rearranged the bottom of the garden and the ponds were full of all sorts of muck, clogged up so we have taken them up, saved what plants we can etc however there were 4 frogs, I managed to catch them and take them to the top of the garden where we have a belfast sink with water, stones and a few buttercup water plants and grasses in, this water has always been good, there were a couple of frogs in there but now until we can make an area for the sandpits again I have put the other frogs in, they have some covering behind the sink and I have added logs etc, will they be ok, is it true that only toads go back to where they first were? Any help would be appreciated )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Frogs

Post by Mo »

I think they go where they want, until it's time to go back to their breeding pond.We have loads of frogs wandering around our veg patch & orchard. We seem to have a permanent pond now (OH dug down to the sandstone and the last couple of summers it hasn't dried out in summer). We've had more dragonflies this year, and allsorts of swimming insects. A clump of Reed mace (that people call bullrushes) and other water plants came by themselves.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I believe toads return to the same place every year for hibernation Perch.
On the Romney Marshes there's a road sign saying slow down, toads crossing (it's an official sign) - just at certain times of the year, forget when exactly.

Toads can live up to 40 years !!

I'd build a little frog house and see if one takes up residence. Frogs will hibernate either in damp mud, males sometimes hibernate in mud at the bottom of a pond.

I like this article in the Telegraph

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
perchy

Post by perchy »

Thank you, I hope they will be ok, I am going to look up frog houses, and see if I can put one somewhere in lots of cover )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

Just a few roof tiles suitably placed will work.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
perchy

Post by perchy »

Well have been rummaging in the "that will do for another time never shed" and found a ridge tile so will put that behind the newly located pond, will take some pics when work commences, that is on the "This will get started some time never" list )t'

Shall I put a bit of earth in it or leave it on the gravel?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Perch,

What I've done is a few threads below this one.

I just google image searched Frog House and picked up the idea from there.

Same with my Hedgehog House and Bug House.

(I cheated :-D )

Richard
perchy

Post by perchy »

Ok thank you )like(
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

Perchy, Sandpit ponds are a good environment for crested newts if you can find any. They like to sit on sand just below the water line, and of course they dive down into the depths if disturbed. You are so lucky to have the ability to make natural ponds in the garden. The water table is too low for this in most gardens and we have to make do with artificial linings,
perchy

Post by perchy »

If I am honest, it took such alot of work moving it I have left it to settle, I put some plants in from the belfast sink and they are growing, I have covered the top in wire, put lots of stones around and in and a couple of bricks, leaving little gaps at the sides for the frogs etc to get in and out also have made a frog house from the old ridge tile, lots of rotting wood too behind it, I am pleased to report that Mr and Mrs Froggy and friends are going in and out of it at the moment and still using the sink )t'

I will try and accommodate some sand etc, I am pleased they are ok as I was a little unhappy about it but it had to be done {hug}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Did 'someone' say piccies would be taken? LOL

We had a really pretty frog which was bright but light green with yellow marks on it the other week. I hadnt noticed it but the lady I was showing round our property did and jumped about 2ft in the air, which in turn made me jump.
perchy

Post by perchy »

I did take some pics of the little area we made, I am awaiting a new cable to upload from my phone, I appear to have broken it }hairout{

They make me jump too, I know they are going to jump but when they do they make me jump {rofwl}