Are we getting used to less wildlife?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Are we getting used to less wildlife?

Post by fabindia »

The question was posed on a Radio 4 programme this week. The reasoning behind it is that each generation re-sets its base-line for the perceived abundance (or not as the case may be) of wildlife.

A few years ago we had dozens of starlings visit the garden, we also had pheasants, hedgehogs, foxes and rabbits visit. It was our 'norm'. But most of these are now gone. Our grandchildren (if our kids ever get round to having any :-D ) will have a new 'norm'.

Quite worrying really.
Michael
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Re: Are we getting used to less wildlife?

Post by elliebear15 »

We moved from the suburbs last year, where there was a generous handful of birds that used to visit our garden, but no small creatures (hedgehogs, etc.) as it was too much of a concrete jungle for them.
Now we live in a rural area, and there are masses of birds, the sparrows are a real menace on our chicken feeder. We accidentally disturbed a wood mouse's nest when we lifted an old stump out of a border. There were 3 very new and tiny babies with their eyes still shut. I was so upset, but within a few minutes and before I had even left the area, their parents came for them and carried them away. Awwwhh!! We found the body of a dead hedgehog, not so nice, and fox poo on our lawn.
So for us it's a wildlife haven, compared with the 'burbs.
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

What a horrible thought Fabidia! But sadly so true. The wildlife I remember in my youth bears no relation to what is seen today. 30 yrs ago the fields down by the river were covered in lapwings, redwings and fieldfares, and every evening flocks flew over. Now there are NONE. The turtle doves in the lane (a favoured site for them) were so numerous neighbours were complaining about the constant loud stentorian cooing. In a crowded population, and it was very crowded, they have to coo for most of the day to maintain their territory. I believe I had one pair this year, the only ones in the lane, and last year none at all. That's a 90% drop over as little as ten years.
Mammals seem to be faring better on the whole, though people seem to be worried about hedgehogs. With reptiles and amphibians populations are local and the worry is that they are increasingly broken up.
Insects are interesting though. It is very difficult to know what is happening. Butterflies this year were quite phenomenal! I think with all smaller creatures if there are a number of people in an area gardening for wildlife they can maintain the population in numbers, although the diversity may be slowly dropping.
I have not noticed any decrease in smaller creatures in and around my house, but then it has been the same for so many years. Children brought up in modern hermetically sealed homes may hardly ever encounter a spider, or even see a bluebottle on their bin! That is one colossal change, isn't it? It is no wonder that so many people believe that nature is irrelevant and that we could live happily without it.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Starlings are a bird that are particularly missing. We used have dozens in the garden but have seen a single one this year.

How sad this all is. Too many people in an over crowded world I am afraid.
Michael