toads and butterflies

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
animartco
Lively Laner

toads and butterflies

Post by animartco »

Today I saw a toad. The gardener had just cut the grass, and I saw it walking away. It was a half grown one and was walking very tall with its body well off the ground like a tiny dog. It looked so cute. I have been seeing a lot of frogs but this was the first toad for a while.
Also had two tiny butterflies outside the back door flying excitedly in circles. One of them flew into a spiders web and I was just too late getting to it before the spider pounced. I freed it, but the spider must have bitten it. Perhaps the venom will wear off. They were tiny orange day time moths with one white blob on each wing. Not a species I am familiar with. Does anyone know what they are?
perchy

Re: toads and butterflies

Post by perchy »

Gosh I havn't seen a toad for ages, and I am not such what the moths are, we still have a few butterlflies, the last of the buddleia flowers are still attracting them )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We have a lot of frogs in our long grass. I saw one climbing our half hollow greengage tree. It had an orange tinge to it, and seemed well camoflauged in the wood. Then it walked away across the grass which was when our cat noticed it. I hope he didn't hurt it when he pounced, and that he didn't find it again after I'd let him go.

when I read the title I wondered why anyone was posting about toast and butterflies
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Frogs and Toads very welcome visitors.

Like Mo say's, they like the long grass and often tuck themselves into the vertical part of flower / vegetable borders.

Keep looking !!

Richard

PS. There's a photo I took of a young one a few threads down, strolled accross the garden without a care in the world - magic !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've just seen a dragonfly. I didn't know they would be about so later in the season - always imagined they came out in summer (and I suppose that the nymphs were in the pond overwinter)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire