old wives' tale?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

old wives' tale?

Post by bmpsands »

We have a load of brussels sprouts that look ready to me. Given that I'm sick of broccoli, kale, beans etc I thought that I would pick some. OH says that they cannot be picked before the first frost - they don't taste so good apparently.

Is this true? Please advise.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: old wives' tale?

Post by lancashire lass »

Not an old wives' tale - when the plants are subjected to the first frosts, the carbohydrates in the tissues change to sugars (a bit like anti-freeze) to prepare them for the winter temperatures. So winter veg like sprouts, cabbage, swede, parsnips and even carrots will taste sweeter. Summer veg on the other hand do not usually survive the frosts as the water in the cells simply freeze and expand, bursting through the cell walls and turn to mush.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

lancashire lass wrote:Not an old wives' tale - when the plants are subjected to the first frosts, the carbohydrates in the tissues change to sugars (a bit like anti-freeze) to prepare them for the winter temperatures. So winter veg like sprouts, cabbage, swede, parsnips and even carrots will taste sweeter. Summer veg on the other hand do not usually survive the frosts as the water in the cells simply freeze and expand, bursting through the cell walls and turn to mush.

Excellent answer
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Those old wives knew a thing or two then. Thanks for the explanation.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Still, if you've got plenty and want a change why not try a small picking.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm tempted, Mo, especially since we've got 2 extra people for dinner tonight and between them they don't like everything that we've grown with the exception of runner beans. I'm looking for one more vegetable that they both like and sprouts may be it. Failing that, I'll go out and buy a cauli. That really goes against the grain.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It has been quite cold here, OH thinks there might have been a slight frost.
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

How about picking the sprouts and putting them in the freezer for a little while?
Not enough to freeze them, cos then they would be mushy, but just enough to give them a good chill.
Would that work maybe?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

elliebear15 wrote:How about picking the sprouts and putting them in the freezer for a little while?
Not enough to freeze them, cos then they would be mushy, but just enough to give them a good chill.
Would that work maybe?

In theory yes - as you say, not completely frozen and then bring them out to preferably outside temperature rather than heated house. Maybe do it again the next day and then leave them for a few days before cooking.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How long in the freezer, would you think? And would they still change when off the plant?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Mo wrote:How long in the freezer, would you think? And would they still change when off the plant?

I'd have thought maybe an hour (really depends on how big something is as to how quickly they would freeze on the outside without being a solid ice block)

As for whether it would still work if off a plant - consider when a plant outside is subjected to a first frost, it tends to happen quite quickly (especially here in the UK where we can have weeks of mild wet weather, then one day there's a clear blue sky and falling temperatures) Plant physiology is really quite simple and would respond to the environment at a cellular level I would have thought rather than as a whole if you understand. So, I think it should work - all we need is a few volunteers to test the theory LOL :-D
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Mind you, the freezer thing is a bit of palaver to go through just to get some early sprouts. Alternatively, they could just be cooked with a bit of bacon or chestnuts to hide any lack of sweetness.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I think I'll just be patient. We talk a lot about eating things in season and so we'll just stick with the broccoli, beans and kale. The cabbages, leeks, sprouts etc will be a real treat when they are eventually ready.