Puppy Puppy Puppy!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mad Chick

Puppy Puppy Puppy!

Post by Mad Chick »

After 18 years of pleading, hubs has finally given in and we are collecting our new puppy today )c( )c(

He's a Pomeranian x Chihuahua, short list for names are Eddie, Dudley (because that's where he comes from) and Percy.

I've never had a dog before so will be asking for LOTS of advice.

Photo's to follow when he's home :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
manda

Re: Puppy Puppy Puppy!

Post by manda »

{hug} {hug&kiss} )c( )c(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've already checked out both of the local puppy training classes. They both looked good and come with lots of local recommendations but not really sure what I'm supposed to be looking for >coc<

The plan is he will not be allowed upstairs (we want the cat to have a dog free place at least until we know they have accepted each other) but should I bring him and his crate upstairs for the first few days as he's likely to be missing his mummy or would that confuse things later on? >coc<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Bet you can`t wait, don`t forget to post some piccies of your new baby for us all to see. {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hopefully Wendy will be able to give the proper answer to whether you should have him upstairs at first. Personally, I wouldn't, but then I'm just a meany!!

OMG, I bet you are soooo excited! I still have the pics of you with Bailey on your lap, but I dont suppose your little one will be quite such a lapful {rofwl}

)piicy(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

)like( I am so pleased for you Lucy. You will be amazed how much he will add to your lives. How young a baby is he?
.The sensible thing will be to keep him downstairs at night, but I've never been truly sensible and just to hear that little pup crying would I'm afraid give way to all good intentions. A baby is a baby in my eyes.

Like everyone else I am looking forward to seeing pics of him as he sounds adorable.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

He's only just 8 weeks so really young still. Originally we were going to adopt a 7 month old pug but the owner was a bit shifty so we backed out. Then we saw this little fella and just fell in love {hug}
Lucy x

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Woohoo, how exciting!! My life has not been the same since getting Lollie in January (in a VERY good way!) and although we have some bad times, I never, ever regret getting her and she is a huge part of our family. Cannot wait to see pics {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

You must be so excited! Apart from Angel, we have always slept our dogs downstairs, the shelties in their own crates, and the GSD and Rough Collie kipped out in the kitchen and/or hallway. Angel made such a huge fuss on her first night, and after an hour of wondering if she was keeping our detached neighbour who goes off to work very early, awake, and if the six-dog people attached to us, were being disturbed, we fetched her upstairs. Angel had had three owners before us, so we have made a rod for our own backs. She sleeps on our bed, and is no bother at all.

Good luck with training. I loved the years at obedience with my girls, though we have not taken Angel so far.

And piccies, please.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

After a very long car journey we made it home. He was quite stressed in the car and was sick all over Izzy but he didn't do too bad seeing as it was his first time in a car, with strangers and without his mummy. He stayed awake the whole 3 hour journey home - got indoors and went straight to sleep {hug}

When he woke an hour later, we took him out of his crate (he's too small to get in or out on his own!) and he straight away did a wee on the puppy pad, then wolfed down a bowl of food.
He doesn't seem to recognise his water bowl - he goes up to it and almost sticks his nose in but then walks off. We've tried gently splashing the water but we still haven't seen him drink. We did put some water in with his food as we were worried about him being dehydrated and he did lap all of the dog food slush up so at least we know he's had some fluids. He hasn't done a poo yet either...

He is SO tiny - can sit in the palm of my hand. He's even smaller than our kitten when we got him.

I still want to call him Dudley but the kids are having none of it {cry} So we're now deciding upon Eddie or Woody...

Right, I'm going to get some sleep while he is...

I promise to get some photo's of him tomorrow when the light is better :-D
Lucy x

tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Awww looking forward to pics. Hope you had a quiet night. We had to wait a very anxious three days for a poo when a little scrap of kitten landed on our doorstep, but he has made up for it since! Enjoy him while he is still a puppy.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Best advice I can give is look up Dr Ian Dunbar on Amazon and get his book "Before and After Getting Your Puppy". The man is a genius.
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
Sara

Post by Sara »

Awwwwww {hug} {hug}

Sounds like you're doing fab already Lucy, and he knows already that he's loved. {hug}

Wendy will have the answers )grin2(
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My goodness Lucy, he sounds teeny weeny!! So pleased he is with you and have lots of fun! {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

This is Eddie {hug}

He had a fab night, I put him in his crate at midnight with a hot water bottle under his blanket and my ticking clock near him and I didn't hear a peep out of him until 6am when I came downstairs. His bed was dry and he came out of the crate (I have to lift him in and out as he's too small to get over the lip!), went straight to the puppy pad and did a wee and a poo.

He is obviously going to be a very clever dog +f+
Lucy x