Dog Boosters

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Dog Boosters

Post by kattcollins »

Forgive me if this topic have been debated before but haven't been on for a while. My 3 year old Husky/malamute was due his boosters a couple of weeks ago, I have always kept up to date with my dogs boosters but you hear so much contradictory advice these days about boosters Vs no boosters that I don't know what to do? If he's goonna get them it has to be this week or he'll have to start all over again, but I hear so much evidence against re-inoculating your dog !!! what do everyone else do?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Dog Boosters

Post by Spreckly »

I dithered over this for ages with Nation, used some homeopathic treatment, but was still unsure whether I'd done the right thing or not. In the end the vet talked me into having boosters. I lost Nation six months later from peritonitis, nothing to do with the boosters.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but it was quite a while since.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

last year my dog was 10 yo & after reading up on it I decided she didn't need
them any more. Wendy passed on some links to good information about it, which
I printed out to take to to my vets. (I shall try & find them) However, I didn't need
it as my vet was quite open minded about.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Here is my discussion about it, there are a couple of useful links on the second page
too
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=49604&hilit=toffee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have today put some links up about this very subject which you might find will help with your decision. Its under the heading - This may be of interest to people.

One of the things in it is about the 'teta' test.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't vaccinate after 5 years old.
My vet is right behind me.
I do not de flea, unless I see fleas. I also don't worm unless I see worms.
Josie died in July, through a clotting problems she was born with, and she was 11. Never been wormed, after puppyhood. Neither had flea treatment. As Dave is only 6 he also hasn't had wormers, past puppy, or flea treatment. They have never had them.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had decided that this year would probably be my last vaccination as Bailey is 5 now. But when I took her, the manufacturers had changed the vaccine to include lepi something or other (think rats and water) and I had to take her back a month later for an extra ' booster' of this new ingredient (free of charge). So now I am thinking she may not be fully immune to that bit of the vaccine after one dose :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kattcollins
Legendary Laner

Post by kattcollins »

Some very interesting points being put across on the other thread thank you. Well as he's only 3 I shall continue with his boosters for now, Seamus is such a sick note that if there is any nasties around he's sure to get it.
Kati
Learner Laner

Post by Kati »

I'm also undecided. My elderly dog lost a lot of mobility after her last vaccination. I don't know if thats a coincidence or not.

I also have a 2yr old border collie, his next booster is due in December. I know some people who only give puppy vacs, some who give puppy vacs + 1 booster then that's it and some don't believe in giving any at all.

When I was growing up we had 2 dogs and they were much healthier than my oldie has been and I'm sure they didn't get vaccinated every year as my parents couldn't afford it. so I have until December to decide for my youngest.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

It's a difficult decision, when my Toffee was seriously ill at the vets & we thought
it could be parvo as I'd missed her booster, the guilt I felt was awful! I think I'd
always choose to get the boosters done until at least 5. Toffee had a check up
today, at 11 she is super healthy & fit which I think is due to the good (but
expensive)food she's on. Until a few years ago she was on a rubbish feed & had
far more aches and pains - something else to consider Kati.
--Immanuel Kant
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Anyone know if not having boosters would affect a claim from your pet insurance??..
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Haven't a clue I don't insure either.
Just save that amount every month in a building society. We have done this ever since we were first together and now we have a fair bit of money in there. Rather than in the insurance companies coffers . )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

My previous dog didn't have boosters after about 5. My current companion had initial puppy vacs and the first year booster only. He will be 5 in January and I don't intend giving him anymore. A friend of mine, whose dog was same age as mine, boostered at 2 and 3 and within days the dog was diagnosed with Addisons Disease, something known to be triggered by vaccinations. Poor Odie got so ill he died a year ago.

The is much compelling evidence to say, like humans, once you are vaccinated you remain so, with dogs. Another couple of friends are titring their dogs i. e. A blood sample is taken and the vaccine within the blood measured. The vaccine is way above the limit required after nearly 8 years. The only vaccine not covered is Leptospirosis. This lasts around 6 months in the body and is a live vaccine. Your dog will only be vaccinated against one type and there are many. So they can get that even with boosters. A live vaccine is also more dangerous.

You can be insured without boostering. My dog is. They just don't cover the dog if they get one of the boostered diseases. However, as previously stated, after their first year booster they are more than likely covered for life for all except Lepto.

These views are controversial. Not everyone agrees, especially most vets. At the end of the day the choice is yours. But think of it this way; would you keep vaccinating your children year after year if they didn't need it?
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

One thing I would say, even if you choose to stop boosters it's recommended
to have at least an annual health check up at the vet. As Toffee is elderly now
she goes more often & I always ask if the vet is aware of any Lepto cases in our
area.
--Immanuel Kant
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Leptospirosis 2 has been replaced with a leptospirosis 4 vaccine (covers four strains of lepto). Its down to individuals to choose whether or not to vaccinate. I believe vaccination is cheaper than the titre tests some choose.

Regarding insurance, if your pet contracts parvo or perhaps some of the GI ailments (or perhaps liver problems) and there is a hefty vet bill or your pet dies, your insurance company may chose not to pay out because you did not vaccinate your pet.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/