Identification and advice please

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Identification and advice please

Post by Richard »

I've recently moved some 30 Plants in Pots from my late Mother's garden (brother not interested in gardening at all and is buying a Flat!!).

Amongst them all are these two large Spider like Plants.

Not sure if they're the same as each other plus on the bottom one I'm unsure if the light green is new growth or another plant altogether !!

Anyway's, any ideas and thing I really need to know is should I bring them in for Winter, either the House, Shed or Greenhouse.
I forget what Mother did.

Not very good on anything outside of growing things I can eat !!

Many thanks

[center]Image

Image[/center]

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
perchy

Re: Identification and advice please

Post by perchy »

First photo is a cordyline I believe, I think it comes under Australis, not sure of the bottom one

{rofwl}bet you're shocked!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

shocked is an understatement {rofwl}

xx
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
perchy

Post by perchy »

Richard wrote:shocked is an understatement {rofwl}

xx

{cry} )gr:
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Yup I am going for cordyline too.
I don't like them much :?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Cordyline definitely.
The second looks like a type of grass. That I'd be tempted to leave out, it may even die back over winter if it is a grass. The cordyline I'm not sure about but frosts can get them so perhaps bring it into somewhere a bit more sheltered
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Agree first is a cordyline. I will ask OH about the second when he gets home. He is a Head Gardener and *should* have some idea as to what it is.

Forgot to say we currently have our cordyline in a pot. It's been outside in all weather's for some years.
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

The purple thing is a Phormium a form of Flax. It may be Chocolate Baby but not completely sure. He is mulling over the name of the green plant. Do you have a better picture of the leaves?
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
manda

Post by manda »

They grow all over the place here...top one is Cordyline and the bottom two could both be Phormium...there are so many varigated colours too.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
manda

Post by manda »

Pic of our Cabbage tree (Cordyline)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I love cabbage trees. They remind me of my time in NZ (I ADORE that country!)

We've got one in our garden, it was beautifully established and really tall but the bad winters a few years back did for it. We had to cut it back, and it's sprouting again really well so they can be surprisingly frost sensitive in a really bad winter.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
animartco
Lively Laner

Post by animartco »

There is a huge divide between people who love growing their own vegies and plantsman gardeners isn't there? In trying to sell my house I have had a lot of people say "Oh I'll start a vegetable patch", but no one so far has taken any interest in the garden, apart from to say "Oh what a lot of space". I can't understand it, There are many beautiful gardens locally, and I know some of the people owning them know what's in them. I am almost in despair that anyone will turn up who values beautiful trees and shrubs. Without hard landscaping, it's just wilderness. I cringe when I watch gardening programs now. It's brought it home to me that it's ALL about bricks and mortar. Of course this doesn't apply to any of you, but aren't we in the minority? Oh dear.
manda

Post by manda »

Sorry only just came back to this thread

KarenE wrote:I love cabbage trees. They remind me of my time in NZ (I ADORE that country!)

We've got one in our garden, it was beautifully established and really tall but the bad winters a few years back did for it. We had to cut it back, and it's sprouting again really well so they can be surprisingly frost sensitive in a really bad winter.

This is a view from the lounge window when we had a dump of snow...that snowy pompom (top left)...yep they are pretty hardy {rofwl}

We never really do anything to this one (hubby is an arborist..it's like being married to a builder I imagine!) ...except take off the dying leaves (they're great as kindling!)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda