What to eat to keep you healthy .....

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

What to eat to keep you healthy .....

Post by fabindia »

... not my words but quoting from a recent radio programme. What to eat to keep healthy in four words; "eat food, mainly vegetables".

The guy was arguing that big business wants to sell us 'food-like' substances. For example, breakfast bars, granola, sugary drinks. These aren't 'proper' food but edible ingredients pumped up with sugar, corn-starch and preservatives, hence are food-like substances.

Makes you think.
Michael
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: What to eat to keep you healthy .....

Post by Meanqueen »

I've known that all along. I miss whole aisles out at the supermarket because they are full of c r a p. Makes shopping a lot easier. Cakes, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, fizzy drinks, crisps, and snacks, are not food. They should be eaten occasionally as treats, not every day.

What to eat to keep you healthy, plenty of veg. >veg4< >veg< >veg1< >veg3<
Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

But also graze at those healthy foods.....well it works for me anyway )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting this. Slight tangent first..

I have an underweight problem, but been so since my teens, I'm 6'0" and normally around the just above 10 stone mark.
I lose weight through Summer a bit and this year with going on Holiday where although I ate a lot, I wore it off and more with a combination of hot weather and my adventures.

So upon my return I decided the best way to tackle this was to eat a bigger breakfast, apparently the most important meal of the day.

So every morning for the last two and a half weeks I've had a full English, thick soup with bread at Lunchtimes, a couple of biscuits and Coffee at Tea time and a big evening meal with deserts (which I rarely have) - and gone up from 9st 12lbs to 10st 4lbs.

Now, a full English may be OK in occasional quantity, but I realise not so good for every day, but.........

All four Grandparents of mine had a really good fry up every morning, had Treacle Tarts mid afternoon and fairly old Englishy stodgy food in the evenings.

Not one died less than 86 years old.

So I tend to take some of these what we should and shouldn't eat media pushes with a pinch of salt.

I respect and acknowledge we as a nation have bad habits with our food nowadays, too many Microwave Meals, Fast Food Restaurants and general junk snacks, but in some ways are we neglecting our general lifestyles which could be a big part of bad health and weight (under or over) problems.

Maybe health is more down to good karma - get that along with good food and maybe we will all live longer?

Pity though that many of these things are in our genes and can't be avoided anyway!

I've always said that being healthy doesn't mean you're fit and being fit doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy!

Just reeling off some thoughts.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It really annoys me when 'experts' tell me to eat --% less of something or other, without knowing what I eat now.

A good balanced diet and 'a little of what you fancy'.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Richard wrote:Maybe health is more down to good karma - get that along with good food and maybe we will all live longer? Pity though that many of these things are in our genes and can't be avoided anyway!

Agree Richard. Much of our health seems t o be the luck of the draw. Mrs Fab, myself and all our kids have been blessed with good health.
Michael
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Glad and nice to hear that Miceal.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome