Why buy Kindling Wood?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Dean H
Lively Laner

Re: Why buy Kindling Wood?

Post by Dean H »

Can I have second prize in 'spot the deliberate mistake' ?
That's duct tape not masking tape... )w(
Dean.
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Oh dear, what else have I done wrong :-D :-D

Nice dry day yesterday so had a field day in the woods, so much dead stuff after the storms.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

For some strange reason our council has cut down about a two mile length of young trees along a local B road. They are about 2 feet apart and the diameter of the trunks about 6''. Each one still has it's protective plastic ring thingy around the bottom from being saplings - so I've helped pay for them to be planted and now to be cut down....

If I had a proper fire I'd have half a dozen of these away each night on the way home and have free heat for several winters. It's nuts. They also re-surfaced a local road recently and within a month there are paint marks all over it to tell the next company where to dig.....then the council send me an expensive glossy magazine full of the usual tripe and how careful they are being about expenditure. Bunch of idiots. Rant over.

Cheers
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

If you run out of kindling wood and need some in a hurry... you can use corrugated cardboard instead - torn-up boxes you get in the post. You just rip a bit off and roll it up and pop it on top of the paper. That's what we mostly use, since there's hardy any wood hereabouts.

You can also make char-cloth out of old, worn-out cotton clothes instead of using firelighters. I really hate the smell of firelighters. Char-cloth works just as well (if not better) and doesn't pong. Plus it's free! )w(
2ndMouse
Learner Laner

Post by 2ndMouse »

We use pallets for kindling... Most years pallets were all I burned. A few yrs ago when my girlfriend moved in here, she began bringing a truckload of pallets home every night.

Needless to say we have a mountain of pallets here. Most I have broken down into pieces and stacked for kindling in a rick about 4x5x30 feet. Plus there are piles of them that the goats use to play on.

I gently told her this year "sweetie, I think we have enough pallets so... You can stop now."
{rofwl}

She still sweats when she passes a pile... But they are free she says. How do you pass up free firewood???
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.