Flu jab tomorrow

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Flu jab tomorrow

Post by Meanqueen »

I've got a flu jab booked at the doctors for tomorrow, but with all the conflicting advice going around, yes have it, no I wouldn't, I don't know whether to go through with it. I have never had flu in my life, not that I can remember anyway, hardly ever catch a cold. Keep myself to myself pretty much in the winter to avoid all the germs going round, keen to keep fit by walking outside alone a lot. Do I really need it?

Apparently it only makes you immune to certain strains, you could still get flu. I live alone so it could be difficult if I was laid up in bed for a week, but then would anyone come and help me anyway. Someone told me that being run down, not eating well, and being tired means your defenses are not up to scratch. I am never run down, eat well, and if I am tired I sit and do nothing or go to bed. I am generally healthy.

What are others doing about it, any side effects. My friend was poorly after he had it the last two years and he won't have it again. Oh, what to do, mega confused.
Ilona
wendy

Re: Flu jab tomorrow

Post by wendy »

I have had it and not had any side effects, Ilona.
I also had a shingles jab a month ago. Apparently it is given to 70 year olds, as if you get it when you are older it is difficult to get rid of and can come back.
So although I am not into tablets etc. I feel I am low, so decided to have it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I had the shingles jab but have never had the flu jab.

I know the advice is - have it. personal choice I suppose.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Ilona - I have the flu jab each year, and so does OH. He suffers from COPD, and I have diabetes, so we are both at risk. Like Wendy, I also had the shingles jab. Not had 2014 flu jab yet, but am booked in for a fortnight's time.

I have heard many "fors" and "againsts", and understand about the different strains of flu, but prefer to think that at least I have done what I could to escape it.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I havent had a flu jab for years as 2 years running I got ill after it :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you for your comments. I decided to have it, only just made it to the appointment in time, despite the doctors surgery being 3 minutes walk away, or 2 minutes run. I was in and out in 2 minutes. Lots of people waiting their turn and I was seen almost immediately.

Slightly sore arm, lets hope that's all.
Ilona
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

>fi< for you.

I have an online friend who gets full-blown flu symptoms each time she has the jab and she has to have it every year because she's US army.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

One of the nurses in our team has been trained up to give the flu jabs. Despite the fact that she's been a nurse 25 years and has given zillions of injections! The training also involves a refresher course in CPR (which we have to do at regular intervals anyway, so this is an extra one). There is nobody in the world I would be happier to have an injection from.

However, I'm not having it and amongst my colleagues we are divided about 50:50. You will NOT get flu from having it. If somebody becomes ill it is because either they were already incubating something and it's a coincidence, or it is a different bug that they've got. Our team manager is having one to set a good example. But we are a bolshy lot so perhaps she is wasting her time!

My reasons are not logical or clinical. I think having it would be like admitting that I'm no longer young - although all front-line staff are advised to have it, if only to protect our patients. I think having it would be saying that my immune system can't look after itself. Both reasons of vanity and pride. My clinical argument would be that if I practice good hygiene, especially with regard to hand-washing (which we all do several times a day, whether or not we've had physical contact with a patient), then I should be able to avoid catching flu. I would probably consider it if I had any reason to suppose that a dose of flu would make me very ill - if I had a pre-existing illness, if my immune system was compromised, or if I was on long-term steroids - anything along those lines.

I wouldn't dream of advising anybody else, it is one of those personal decisions which can only be right or wrong for the individual doing the deciding.
Life's too short to quarrel
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am glad you put this thread up MQ as we have just today been asked to make an appointment for our flue jabs.

I know it doesnt protect you from all strains, but they do change the vaccine every year to try to match the current strains. Also I am aware that you cannot catch flu from the vaccination as its a dead virus.......asked the nurse last year.

I have had flu twice in my life and twice it put me on my back and I was a lot younger than I am now, so think we will make the appointment and have it done again.

Twice previously when we both had it done, neither of us had any effects as the same with the pneumonia one off jab.

How are you now MC, any problems?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

My son-in-law gave me my flu jab a fortnight ago (forgot to sort out with my Surgery), bit late this year.

I had the Pneumonia jab two years ago, neither have set off any side effects.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I had my flu jab few weeks ago, and had pneumonia jab few years ago. No problems with either. Have to have it as dodgy lungs. Never had it when working in care home, amazed at how many care staff would work with horrendous colds sneezing and coughing over residents and then wonder why residents got poorly with same but that's another story.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Gwenoakes wrote:I am glad you put this thread up MQ as we have just today been asked to make an appointment for our flue jabs.

How are you now MQ, any problems?

Absolutely fine Gwenoakes. No adverse effects whatsoever. Don't know what I was worried about.
Ilona