Question about money saving coupons - Rip off Britain

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Question about money saving coupons - Rip off Britain

Post by Spreckly »

I don't normally watch Rip off Britain, but caught the end of the programme yesterday, when a young man was interviewed. He has been using money saving coupons from the internet, supermarket magazines and newspapers. We don't do the two last ones, so I had a nose round the internet yesterday. The young man has saved one thousand pounds from the shopping basket in a year!!

A Fe.....ze coupon would be most handy, I decided, as this is on my shopping list, but I have been unable to print it off, and rather suspicious of downloading the coupon printer software (don't want to mess up our newly installed Windows 7).

So, has anyone else used these sites? l wonder if Ilona has come across them Today on the follow up interview he spent just over two pounds doing a shop for a family, and there was over thirty pounds worth of food there. Either I am more stupid than I think, or I am missing something here. Though I have to say, on one coupon site, there is little that I would use.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Question about money saving coupons - Rip off Britain

Post by HedgeHugger »

I've used a coupon print thing, can't remember which one it was now. I think they are there to stop coupon 'abuse'. i.e downloading and printing the same coupon twenty times. They do just sit on the pc (and are usually forgotten). I don't like to use them, I don't really trust any company not to pop a spyware style cookie on my system too.

Shops used to be way more accepting of vouchers. We used to get a fair bit off our shopping using coupons.

You need a thick skin using coupons. Some cashiers accept them no problem, others make a big song and dance about accepting them, checking they're authentic, calling supervisors etc.
I have been known to just dump the shopping and leave if they won't accept a voucher (rebel me :) )
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello Spreckly. I saw a film about that young man a year or so ago, it didn't tempt me to try similar tactics. I can't comment on the printing of vouchers, I have never tried it. I did look at a web site ages ago to see what it is all about, but couldn't find any vouchers that would have been any good to me.

Looking at what he had bought, there wasn't hardly anything there that I would buy, apart from the fruit and veg, and it's not very often you get vouchers for those. A years supply of deodorant, nope, I only use it in the summer, don't smell in the winter. Listerine mouthwash, nope, not needed, just brushing with toothpaste is adequate. Big bottles of cola, nope, never touch the stuff. He had enough there for a large household, only him and his mum there. :? Think he is a bit obsessed, and how much does he spend on paper and printer ink?

When I get the supermarket bumf through the door I look through it, only the odd item that I would buy, not worth going to the shop to get it. I appreciate that I am a bit of an oddity where shopping is concerned, don't buy anything that I don't actually need. Sorry, but I don't need fabric conditioner, each to their own. Can't help you with the coupon printing, but I wouldn't download anything onto my computer that I wasn't sure about.
Ilona

Sorry, I can't
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Hedgehugger and Ilona - thanks for your replies. I smiled at the comment about printer ink and paper!

Good as the offers seem, it was the downloading of a print programme that bothered me, and like I said, we would have no use for a lot of the coupons.

The ladies on Rip off Britain were most impressed though, so perhaps their income is not as good as ours?!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Some of those coupon programs can be nuisances, they can wriggle into your browser, slow it down and cause problems and sometimes can be difficult to uninstall. Not so much spyware but unwanted programs, although some nasty stuff can masquerade as them. If you are planing to download one google it first to make sure that it's reputable.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Ilona, Hedgehugger and Karen - again thank you for your replies to my query. I have now taken myself off one of the two sites, by telephone, and sent the other one an email on their site. We have had pop ups appearing since registering, so hopefully they will disappear once we are through their system.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I am now hopefully removed from the websites. Jordon Cox, the young man who appeared on Rip off Britain was tremendously helpful when I was unable to find the deletion icons. It appeared I was wrongly registered anyway.
lochernepioneers
Learner Laner

Post by lochernepioneers »

Has anyone else noticed or is it just me, that when you get money off vouchers from Tesco, 90% of the time they are for stuff that you normally dont buy.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Yes, I bin quite a few T....co vouchers for things I don't buy.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The ones that annoy me are the price match vouchers. Since we don't live near shops (1 1/2 miles to the local, 9m to superm) by the time we go back they are out of date.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire