Help - made a mistake with my chutney

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Jenny
Lively Laner

Help - made a mistake with my chutney

Post by Jenny »

I volunteered to make fig chutney to sell at a Christmas fayre from 6 k of figs donated by a friend and I think I have made a mess of it. I spent all last Tuesday afternoon chopping and dicing and finally ended up with 19 jars of chutney. The problem is I thought the figs (frozen) were in 1 K bags and I have just found another 6 bags in the freezer so they must have been 500 g bags. Any ideas if I can cook them and add it to the already jarred chutney?
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: Help - made a mistake with my chutney

Post by tosca100 »

Could you not taste it to see if you got away with it? If not I don't see why you can't add the frozen ones as long as you cook them well first before adding the 19 jars and cooking longer, if the chutney is thick you could maybe cook the fresh ones in a little vinegar to help preservation. Or I might be talking rubbish. I did it with tomato chutney once when I realised I had mis-weighed.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

If you weighed all the other ingredients for 6 kg of figs, just empty the chutney back into a pan, add the rest of the figs, reboil and refill jars. You will need to wash and sterilise the jar again unfortunately.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

jannie wrote:If you weighed all the other ingredients for 6 kg of figs, just empty the chutney back into a pan, add the rest of the figs, reboil and refill jars. You will need to wash and sterilise the jar again unfortunately.

Agree )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Jenny
Lively Laner

Post by Jenny »

Thanks for the replies. Going to have a go next week but do half the amount at a time as even my biggest pan was full almost to the top without the missing 3 K of figs. It does explain one thing though. Whilst I was waiting for it to cook I phoned a friend about it and we estimated how may jars it would make (still had to add the sugar at that time). We estimated 30 jars but when it was ready it only filled 19 Jars. When I emailed her later with the amount, she replied "That's magic - chutney is the new anti-matter".