Valentina.

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
wendy

Valentina.

Post by wendy »

I hope you don't mind the updates. If you do, just PM me and I will not post.

I have had her a week and a day today. I have spent the last week just getting her to walk on the lead [she used to lay down and refuse to walk] also trying to build her trust.
Instead of walking around the field, which prompted her to lay down, I zigzagged across it and she, somehow, found that easier to cope with.
Also I sat on a chair in the field every time I went back across the field. First day she stood with her rear to me, fairly tense and didn't look at me at all. I sat and talked to her, stroking her rear and telling her she didn't have anything to worry about. Then we would go round the field until we got opposite the chair and went over to it and sat again.
We did this for the whole hour.
Second day I found a treat she would eat Yay. Sadly it was raw green tripe . She loves it, I stink when I have finished. Anyway we progressed day by day. Until now she will sit with her head into my lap and wagging her tail. She also goes around the field without any laying down
Today I decided to take her into the paddock. Which everyone says, she just lays down by the fence and doesn't do anything. I went in and walked around she stayed, standing, up by the gate. When I got a little way away, she started to whine. Bless her. I crouched down and called her. She came bounding over. What huge feat for this little sad dog.
Most of the time she walked around the paddock with me and three more times I called her from some way away and she came, with a smiley face and a wagging tail.
I feel good today and I hope she does.

I went to see Sammy in his kennel and he sat when I asked, to give him treats...good. Such a lovely boy....if you haven't got a dog )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Valentina.

Post by Spreckly »

I love to read the posts about the dogs you are training, Wendy.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Me too Wendy, they brighten my days {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Me too, I really hope that you keep posting Wendy. It is lovely to hear about the joy that you are clearly bringing to those dogs who so need it {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Having two dogs myself i love reading your posts.
Amber. )like(
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

At home I'm a cat person, but I still enjoy reading about your dogs.
Update us about Dave, too - we've not heard so much about him for a while.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh yes Wendy, I love hearing about the work you're doing with the dogs, and I really am looking forward to reading posts which say they've found a new home. Please keep posting them!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Keep posting Wendy, I love to hear about how you are getting on with them.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Lots of jumping around and whining when I arrive at her kennel. I can get in and out without her trying to bolt past me. She will sit now for me to put her lead on and take it off. No problem with trying to lay down on the spot and not move.
Today she walked around the paddock with me, off lead, most of the time. The other times when a little distance away. She came running back to me, every time. A wagging tail 90% of the time. She also lay down and wanted a tummy rub . Aww brave little girl. Yay.

Saw Sammy again and all I am doing is getting him to watch me and pay attention. I am only with him about 10 minutes, as I haven't time still going to Tilly as well.
But I got him to give me eye contact for 5 seconds. Pretty good for a dog, apparently, on speed yike* . I will need a double dose of that when I get to training him )grin2(

jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Love hearing about Valentia, even though I don't always have the time to post Wendy. I am constantly amazed how these 'shut down' dogs respond to human kindness. Well done you for giving them your time and expertise. {hug}
Sara

Post by Sara »

I love your stories too Wendy, and its really interesting too... {hug}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes Jannie. That is all they need is time and patience.

Here is the gorgeous girl again.

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Yes, do keep up with the updates Wendy. You are doing wonderful work with all of the dogs but there is something so heart-warming when you tell of a dog like Valentina, who is such a troubled girl.
Dogs are such amazing , intelligent animals who eventually respond to kindness and give such a lot back. Thank goodness there are people like you to help give them a new life. {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Wendy I go on here about once every two years to post but to read I visit here a lot and love reading your threads )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well the dear little Valentina has fallen in love with me.
Gets all silly and wriggly, howling and jumping around when she sees me. Bless her.
I am tempted to take her, as I feel sorry for her. But I really don't want another dog, feeling sorry isn't good enough, and my Dave is really full on when playing etc. As he has always played with Josie [ large GSD] and staffies. I feel he would be too much for her.
She needs now to learn to trust others, but I did see another volunteer walking her while I had Sam and she was doing OK. No laying down, like she did before. I think we will get there. I have had her 3 weeks this Wednesday so she is doing well.