Fireworks advice?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mad Chick

Fireworks advice?

Post by Mad Chick »

This will be Eddies first bonfire night and the fireworks have already started. Unlike our cat who hides under the bed for several weeks, Eddie so far doesn't seem too bothered although we haven't had any really loud or clise ones yet. I'm obviously keen to ensure that he doesn't grow up frightened of loud bangs as we also have a lot of shooting nearby throughout the year (hunting, not gangs!).

Are there any tips you can give me for him? Someone has suggested I take him to the big firework display next weekend and carry him to show him that they won't hurt him but I'm not sure if this wouldn't just terrify him being so close... >coc<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Fireworks advice?

Post by Gwenoakes »

One thing I wouldnt recommend is taking him to any firework displays, yet alone a big one.
I would recommend to keep everything as normal except walk earlier than usual before fireworks start in daylight. If he shows ANY sign of fear/worry do NOT love him better. That may sound extremely harsh and very, very difficult not to do, but if you do you will be telling him there is something to worry about.
Keep curtains closed, lights on, tele even louder than normal and all should be well.
Bella our Staffie was perfectly OK until one year we walked her, in daylight and the biggest banger went off very near us. After that she was petrified.
Lincoln Uni were doing research into dogs that were frightened of fireworks and we went along. There were approx 100 dogs all sizes, shapes and models.
We came away with a firework CD which at first we could only play very, very low. I had loads of paperwork to fill out, noting her behaviour, i.e. was she panting, hiding, would she take titbits, was she aggressive etc, etc, etc. After about 3 months of playing CD about 15/20 times a day in the end at full volume and randomly she was absolutely fine.
When we went back for them to test her themselves they said that the dogs that did not get over their fear of fireworks and there was quite a high % were the ones whose owners would/could not ignore during the CD playing.
There are also plug in's you can get from vet and I think off line now.
Oh and Eddie piccies are a must, pretty please. +f+
chickgirl
Learner Laner

Post by chickgirl »

Hi

We have been following a few suggestions made my Wendy (thanks Wendy!) for our dog Honey.

After a trip to the vet we have been using an Adaptil collar which she has had on for a week. She has turned into a happy puppy again, very cute and very relaxed.

Tonight we have had a few more fireworks going off and Honey started to panic so gave her a tablet that the vet gave us. They are called Xanax and we have a few to last for the worse of the nights ahead.

So far Honey is washing herself and is very content. We have all the lights on with the tv on 'oh so loud' setting!

All is well with our happy dog, but will be the same next year no doubt. :-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

Do NOT take him anywhere near fireworks. What a daft remark.
Keep him in , curtains closed TV on loudish and make no big deal out of the noises. Just jolly along.
We have had 16 dogs and never had one that has been frightened.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Our Toffee was a rescue puppy from a few weeks old, having missed out on her
mum's input she had a lot of issues & a lot of fears when she was young. One day
I had luckily just read the right chapter of a dog phycology book when I took
Toffee for a walk - a crow scarer exploded loudly in the field the other side of the
hedge, I froze in fear, then saw Toffee was tensed and staring at me to see how she should react - I remembered what I'd read & carried on walking as if nothing had happened (even though I was shaking inside). Dear Toffee is still nervous of some things but since that day loud bangs don't phase her, we've even had fireworks with friends in the garden & the only thing she barked out (from indoors of course) was the people in her garden.
Very different from my last dog who was so scared he would try & dig into the
carpet to hide - not knowing any better I used to comfort him.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

No advice (useless I know! :) ) I used to put my dog in the car when firework nightmares started for her, made her feel safe and she would settle. She had tried to jump in through the windows she was so terrified (windows shut!)

My mum always said it's how she realised Jasper had gone deaf, he was out the garden, fireworks whizz-banging everywhere and he was oblivious.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thanks for the advice everyone )t'

I've followed all the advice and haven't seen him bat an eyelid yet, even when there were some huge bangers going off a couple of doors up the road :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Someone I know has produced some excellent videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwILjU9 ... 95&index=4
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014