I was offered a puppy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
By Halves
Lively Laner

I was offered a puppy

Post by By Halves »

Yesterday afternoon, randomly in the street yike*

I was walking past a chap who was holding a tiny puppy (and I may have slowed down to oooh and aaah a bit) and he pointed to the mother nearby and told me it was the last of the litter and he needed to find a home for it. Then he literally pressed it into my hands and said "now you're holding it it's yours". I protested for quite some time but he wouldn't let me give the puppy back to him, it was like being on the receiving end of a double glazing salesman, good natured banter on the outside but you can tell they don't want to take no for an answer! Of course it didn't help that it must have showed that I was having to try really hard not to be tempted...

In the end I told him I couldn't possibly because I already have a garden full of bantams and a house full of cats (well my OH has two so we will have when we finally get our house together) and he even started to come up with solutions to that problem before I managed to give the puppy back to him.

What was really surreal was that the puppy was just like one in a dream I had a few days ago that someone was keeping in a cage with assorted other baby animals except that the real one was well fed and clean and the animals in the cage were dreadfully neglected (very upsetting dream).

The more I think about it the more horrified I am that someone would try to give a puppy away to a stranger on the street with no regard for the type of home it might be going to. I really hope the poor little thing ends up with someone nice.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: I was offered a puppy

Post by Mo »

That is unbelievable.
My suspicious mind wonders what was wrong with it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Appalling !!!! heaven knows where that puppy is going to end up. More than likely for bait, if he isn't careful. But then he obviously doesn't care. }hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Now I'm starting to feel bad that I couldn't take it {cry}

I just hope the guy only offered it because he thought I was a nice sensible-looking middle-aged (eek!) woman and I'd give it a good home.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
wendy

Post by wendy »

No you have no need to feel bad.
The bad person is someone giving an animal away for free. How you look has no relation on how you treat animals I am afraid.
The motto is 'if you don't pay for it, you don't value it' sadly.
Please do not beat yourself up over this.
You did the right thing, if you could not have it.
There are plenty of places/rescue homes he could have taken it to.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

As sad as it seems, you are better off without it. It could be stolen, or as others have said, sick in some way.

I find it terrible that people do this but money is always the driving factor. They are greedy for it and don't care how they get it. }hairout{
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Unbelievable, poor little puppy. We went to a certain well known gypsy fair some years ago, and spotted a dog walking round with a cardboard "for sale" sign hung round its neck.

Do hope that it has found a safe home.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I really wonder at times what this world is coming to. {mr.angry}

Was any money discussed/mentioned or didnt the conversation get that far, By Far?
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

It's a very common problem here, if you are British you are considered a soft touch. The towns and cities, and many villages, are heaving with scrawny and often vermin ridden dogs and cats. Castration (which applies to dogs and bitches here) is considered against nature, better to let puppies and kittens be born then throw them away. Very hard to come to terms with.

But when the kids get involved and start handling the babies, they try to find homes for them in their way, by taking them to car boot sales (a litter of kittens next to us were obviously fluey and were being man handled and thrown about by small children) or dumping them over someone's fence. If we didn't have another abandoned three week old kitten already we wouldn't have been able to leave them. The kitten we had came wobbling down the lane, starving and gummy eyed, yelling for food and though not cat people we had no choice but to take him in...and he insisted anyway. Since then we have had kittens dumped by the car in a box on market day when the neighbours all know we go to market early. They were less than two weeks old and fed and sleeping, so as we were going to be just a short time be put the box on the bench outside the gate and went off, tried to get kitten replacement milk at the vet's (no, said he, cow's milk! Huh) but they had gone when we came back. From what we were told someone was watching (won't say who) and took the kittens back when we left them there. It's so hard, but once you get a name for taking in animals they tend to get thrown over the wall. We take comfort in the fact that they cared enough to take them back.

So many ex-pats end up with dozens of animals, then have major problems when something happens and they have to return to the UK. If we have to we will have to find a rental, hard enough with two large dogs and a cat.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/