Growing sweet potatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jackian
Legendary Laner

Growing sweet potatoes

Post by jackian »

Has any one successfully grown sweet potatoes ? I have heard they are grown with what they call slips and not easy to grow .
I love trying something different so any advice welcome .

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
tosca100
Lively Laner

Re: Growing sweet potatoes

Post by tosca100 »

They can be grown in a good year it seems, but you have to start early. There is lots on Youtube, it is not as hard as I had been led to believe. The climate is probably the biggest problem as not all summers are like the last one.

I am going to have a go next year now that we have the climate and the space. Worth a try. And it will give a bit of variety to our winter diet which mostly consists of frozen veg and wormy potatoes...and lots of rice and pasta.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

You can buy slips from online suppliers (Mr Fothergills, DT Brown, Thompson & Morgan, Suttons etc) I bought some in 2012 as an experiment but couldn't have picked a worst year to try - it was wet, dull and cool right up to the end of July (you may remember it as the year of the London Olympics) so the ground was wet and things were slow to get going. I did get some tubers but I think the biggest was the size of my thumb. If I was ever to do it again, I'd grow them in a greenhouse or polytunnel.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Thanks Tosca and Lancashire lass for your replies . I have looked them up as suggested and there seems to be a lot of advice out there. ..they are certainly worth a try and seems they are better grown in a tub . So next year they will be my next experiment .

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown